Wish You Were

Chapter 3

Leah groaned and rolled out of bed, rubbing her eyes. Looking at the clock, she was surprised how late it was. Almost two o'clock. Well, that's what you get for staying up super late waiting for your boyfriend to call. The last time she had checked the time, it was about 4:30. She had laid down to read a bit, and must've fallen asleep.

She checked her phone, seeing if she had somehow missed Joe's call. She hadn't. Not only had he cancelled their date- the first time they'd be seeing each other in a week- but he didn't even call her. She couldn't help but be annoyed.

Since today was supposed to be a day off, hopefully Leah would hopefully be able to hang out with him today. She quickly sent him a text, asking him to meet her outside.

Feeling her phone vibrate, she opened it. "i'm not at home right now. In a meeting."

Of course he was. Just how many meetings were really needed? It seemed like he was always in some meeting. She hoped that it was just going to be like this as they first started, and that it would get less hectic as they became more used to their new career.

She typed back a reply, hoping that they could hang out later. As she waited for his response, she grabbed a brush and ran it through her hair. Her phone buzzed again. She opened it, hoping for good news.

"i don't think i can tonight. we're doing some promotional thing. sorry. tomorrow- i promise. why don't you hang out with hannah today? you said you hadnt seen her in a while"

No such luck. She sent a short text back and walked downstairs, thinking about what Joe had said. There was no use in waiting around for him, because they obviously couldn't see each other today. Maybe she would hang out with Hannah.

Calling her friend, she confirmed plans for the day. After changing her clothes quickly, she grabbed her keys and went out the door.

Joe looked at his watch. It was past seven by now. Thankfully, he could tell that the meeting would be ending soon. He was starving, and he was pretty sure that everyone around him could tell- his stomach had been growling for the past hour.

When the meeting finally adjourned, they all stood up and stretched. These meetings were getting harder and harder to sit through each day.

When everyone was out of the room except for the boys and Ryan, she turned to them, looking apologetic. "I know these meetings are long. Sorry. Thankfully, there won't be many more. Joe, I know you're hungry and I'm guessing you two are as well- do you want to go get something to eat?" She looked back and forth between each boy, waiting for an answer.

Nick spoke up first. "I'm kind of really tired, so I think I'll just go home and eat." It was obvious to all of the boys that he didn't like Ryan very much.

Kevin agreed. "Yeah, same here, but thanks anyways."

"Alright, that's fine." Ryan turned to Joe and smiled. "What about you? Up for some food?"

Joe wanted so badly to say yes, but he hadn't hung out with Leah in forever, and he didn't know when he'd get another chance to. "I think I'm going to eat with my girlfriend. Thanks, though."

Ryan looked a little disappointed, but put on a smile. "Okay, well, I'll see you all tomorrow morning, then?" She picked up her things and walked out of the room.

As soon as the boys got home, Joe walked into his room to call Leah.

"Hello?"

"Hey, we're finished with everything. Do you wanna go get something to eat, or just come over or something?"

Was he serious? "I'm over at Hannah's right now, Joe."

"It's been forever since we've seen each other, though! Please? I'll make you something delicious." Leah could tell he was smiling.

"Joe, I'm hanging out with her now. Why don't we just do it tomorrow, like you said?" he couldn't honestly expect her to leave Hannah's house just to hang out with him. He had been the one to cancel- not her.

The smile fell from his face. "Oh, sorry. I just thought you'd want to see your boyfriend who you haven't hung out with in forever. Guess not. My mistake."

"Joe, it's not like that. I'm already over here. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

She waited anxiously for a reply. The line was silent for a while. She could hear his breathing on the other end.

"Yeah. Whatever," he said, hanging up.

Leah shut her phone, surprised at what had just happened. He'd never hung up on her before.

Joe probably shouldn't have hung up on her, but he was pissed. He had turned down plans with Ryan to spend time with Leah, who was apparently too busy for him.

"Joe, call her back and apologize!" Joe looked up to see Kevin standing in the doorway.

"Stay out of this, Kevin."

"Joe, if I remember correctly, you cancelled plans with her first. And you did say she should make other plans- so she did. I'm not leaving until you call her." He leaned against the door frame, folding his arms.

Joe rolled his eyes and pulled out his phone. After it started to ring, Kevin walked away. It rang a couple times before it was answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Joe. Sorry about earlier."

"Don't worry about it. I understand that you have other plans."

Joe looked at the clock. It was only about eight. "Actually, those plans kind of changed. Do you still wanna get something to eat?"

"Sure. Meet me at the office in 10, and we'll decide where to go from there."

"Alright. See ya, Ryan."
♠ ♠ ♠
yo yo yo,
comments are appriciated(: