A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

Why Am I Nervous?

Why Am I Nervous?
Chapter 1

I looked out into the auditorium, a little nervous. My band and I have played many shows before this, but this is a first. We were playing for my senior class. That’s right, and half of them either,

a] don’t like me
b] ignore me
c] make fun of me
or d] ALL OF THE ABOVE.

I think D sounds about right. Any ways, I guess I didn’t really say much about, well practically anything. Let me introduce myself for one thing: my name is Erelin Bristow. I’m a senior at Driscoll Catholic High School and yet I despise everything about it. It’s not bad having a uniform because my lazy ass doesn’t like picking out outfits practically every single day. But it gets a little boring. I like to spice things up a little bit. So that’s why I’m always in detention for my hoodies and what nots. Oh the best was when I got my lip pierced. The look on my Dean’s face was priceless. Anyway back to the whole point of this explanation...

I am the lead singer and bassist of my band that I formed with my friend Chrissy Hughes who is lead guitar and back up vocals. My friend Billy Taylor is rhythm guitar, backup, and screamer. Our drummer, Sam McCall just joined us recently and is staying for good. We’ve been going through drummers, and it’s been killing us. Anyway, our band’s name is called Photogenic Misery. We’ve been together for about two years now, and have been popular in the underground scene, not our school though.

“Erelin! You wanna snap out of it? We’re about to perform soon,” Sam said.

“Sorry,” I said as continued to tune my bass.

“What’s with you today?” He asked.

“I really don’t know. I just feel like something’s off today.”

“Just ‘cause we’re performing in front of our class?”

“Psh… this is shit. It’s a like a practice for us. I would rather give my 200% to our show on Friday, then to here.” I said.

“Just please at least don’t slack. I don’t wanna be made fun of.”

“Sam… you already are. Besides, it’s not their job, it’s ours,” I said with a smirk.

He just shook his head and walked over to his drum set. He started doing his little warm up tradition of drumming softly, then ascending up. That reminded me of doing my vocals. I started going up the scale on my bass, and when I was done, I usually sang Rent songs or Sound of Music songs. Weird, I know. Chrissy was doing riffs with Billy as they were both having their usual vocal sound competition. Today it was Fall Out Boy’s Take This To Your Grave. Billy started screaming where Pete screams as Chrissy was singing Patrick's part. A typical warm up that we all got use to. As we were close to our warm up, on time the seniors and juniors started to pile in the auditorium. For some reason, I was more nervous then normal. I felt something was going to go down. I don't know if it was good or bad.

"Are you ready?" Billy whispered in my ear.

"I guess," I said back.

As the crowd was settled, it was strange. Everyone was sitting. We were use to the small crowds that stood by the stage and moshed. I gulped the last of my spit and felt the butterflies get worse in my tummy.

"Erelin... what are you waiting for?" Chrissy said to me.

I looked at her and nodded. I was the one who started off talking. Then we would all take turns and stuff. I don't know what was gonna happen. I just hoped good.