A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

Torn

Chapter 29
(Kayla’s POV)

What am I suppose to do now?

“Kayla, we are not done talking…”

I hid behind the bleachers and crouched down. I didn’t want Nate to find me. We haven’t been really in good terms lately. He’s been freaking out more because I’ve been hanging out with Daniel more than him. Daniel is my friend too, which makes me mad. I’m allowed to have other friends too. I seriously don’t know why Nate is freaking out.

“Kayla, I swear…” I heard Nate say.

I then sat down and wrapped my arms around my knees, resting my head against them. I am getting sick and tired of this. I feel like they are fighting over me. I don’t want to chose. They are both my friends. I started to hear rustling near me.

“Crap.” I thought.

“You honestly think you can hide from me, Kayla? I know about this spot.” Nate said as I heard him kneel near me.

I didn’t want to say anything to him. I was mad.

“Why won’t you talk to me? Kayla…. I said we aren’t done talking.” Nate said.

Silence.

“Kayla.” He said in my ear.

“Nate, I am sick and tired of this.” I finally said as I raised my head up.

“Sick and tired of what?”

“Fighting with you all the time. First of all, we aren’t even dating. You act as though we are. Second of all, I seriously don’t know why you don’t want me to talk to Daniel. He’s my friend too. I can have more than one friend.”

“I’m sorry. I know. It’s just that…”

“You don’t trust him. I know. I don’t say anything about your friends that you talk to as well.” I said.

“I know that. I just get a weird vibe from him.” Nate said.

“I’m sick and tired of hearing that. I’m sick and tired of you freaking out on me for no reason. I’m sick and tired of you acting like we are together when we aren’t. You know what just stop talking to me. If you can’t make up your mind, if you can’t accept who I talk to, then stop talking to me.” I said.

At that point, I was already standing up and towering over him. I then turned around and walked home, away from him. I was angry. I could feel the anger boiling inside of me. I grabbed my book bag from my locker, and walked straight home. I walked passed Daniel’s school, passing by the track and field. I could see him practicing and stretching outside near his friends. I walked passed it slowly and looked over at him. Some of his friends got his attention, noticing that I was staring at him. He looked over at me and smiled. He got up from stretching and ran towards me.

“Hey Kay!” Daniel said.

“Hey Dan. How are you?” I said.

“I’m good. You?”

“Ok I guess.” I sighed.

“That doesn’t sound too good. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing…”

“Kayla, how about we hang out tonight? You don’t sound to happy…” Daniel said.

“I’m fine. How about we take a rain check ok? I’m not feeling good today.” I said.

“Of course. Just call me whenever! I got to go before my coach gets mad at me.”

“Go. I’ll see you later.” I said with a smile.

“Ok Bye.” He flashed me his smile and turned around.

“Bye.” I said as I walked away.

I walked back home and with now a new emotion in me, confusion. As I walked through the door, even more exhausted from what happened today, many thoughts were going through my head. I just said hello to my mother and father and walked upstairs to my room. I dropped my book bag and closed the door. I sighed and just collapsed on my bed.

I didn’t know what to do anymore. Why you may ask? I was confused. I’ve been falling for Nate ever since I’ve met him. Then Daniel came along, and Nate hated him from the beginning. And all we do is fight and now I’ve lost him. Just because I’ve been stupid. Is it possible that he feels the same way about me? That I highly doubt. He always said that I felt like a sister to him.

It hurts to think about that. And then there’s Daniel that is the one of the most sweetest boys that I have ever met. I just hate that Nate can’t accept that we’re just friends too. But sometimes I feel more than just friends with Daniel. And I’m not gonna lie, I feel the same thing with Nate. Is it possible to love two boys?