A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

It's Always Cloudy Except For When You Look

Chapter 38

“Hey, Lola said she wants to talk to you. She’s looking for you.” My little cousin, Jeffery said.

“Alright, Brendon, I’ll be back ok? Lola wanted to talk to me alone.” I said as I kissed him on the cheek.

“Ok I’ll be here.” He said.

He then went back to talking with my cousins. I got up from my chair, feeling a little tired after playing softball. I headed inside the house and looked for Lola to find her in the living room, alone, relaxing on the couch.

“What did you want to talk to me about, Lola?” I asked as I walked towards her.

“Come here, sit with me.” She said as she patted down the seat next to her.

I said next to her and maneuvered myself to face her.

“let me ask you something. How long have you been dating that boyfriend of yours?”

I thought for a moment. It was almost August, and our anniversary just past.

“Three months on the 12th.” I said.

“Ahhh ok. Now how did you two meet?”

“We met at one of my performances along with his friend in his band and our boss.”

“Ok… now when was that?”

“Uh almost a year ago in maybe November?”

“Was there any problems on you two dating or before you started dating?

“Lola, what’s with all the questions?” I asked.

She sighed and grabbed my hand.

“Lola?”

She remained quiet and leaned her head against the back of the couch.

“Lola?”

“Erelin, I don’t know how to explain this to you. I need you to tell me first about everything that’s happened between you and this boy.”

“Lola, he has a name.”

“You think I remember it? I can’t remember my own grandchildren half the time.”

I chuckled a little because it’s true. There are so many times where I’d be called Estela or Vanessa or Joyce, my other cousins.

“Just please tell me, and I’ll explain.” She said.

I sighed and did what I was told. I told her how Brendon and I met from the beginning. I told her about our ups and downs. I mentioned Pete and she stopped me.

“Wait, who’s Pete again?”

“Well he’s my boss technically. But he’s like a brother to me. We always talk about our lives, outlooks on situations.”

“Does Brendon get jealous about you two?”

“Sometimes, it’s pathetic through because he should trust me. I don’t get mad at him when he talks to other girls. And recently there was a rumor going on the internet about Pete and me. Brendon found out and started freaking out on me.”

“Really…”

“Lola, that’s all I have for you. Now why did you ask me all this?” I asked getting impatient.

“Erin, I want to be straight forward with you. When I was about your age, I had went through something just like your situation. I was best friends with a boy, a boy who I could trust with my whole life. I had fallen for him, but he didn’t seem to notice at first. Then, I had met someone else. We had started to become really good friends. You may say it was a way of moving on, but I made it much worse. I started to fall for both boys. In the end, I had to choose.”

I just started at her with a confused look.

“Ok... What does this have to do with me?”

“Not only has this happened with me, but with your aunt and your own mother.” Lola said.

I stopped and looked at the ground. I sometimes I hated when she would mention Mom. She knew it would kill me sometimes, and even herself as well.

“And?” I managed to say.

“Don’t you see? It happens to the women of the Evangelista line. It started with my grandmother, my mother, me, your mother, and now you. And it always happened around your age. It’s confusing, I know. I don’t understand why this happens to us. Every generation it keeps repeating over and over again. You’re starting to experience it. You’ve been experiencing it.”

I sat back and started to wonder about what I just heard it. Could it be true?

“No…Lola, I don’t know what you’re talking about. I mean yea Brendon, Pete, and I have been having problems but I don’t think it would be that bad. I mean Brendon and I are happy. We are together. We had problems in the past, but now, we are happy and together.” I said.
She sighed, squeezed my hand and smiled.

“I know. I hope it breaks with you. I could see you two happy.” She said.

“I am happy with him.” I said with a smile.

“Good. I hope though it won’t happen with you.” She said.

“I know it won’t.”I said

I leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

“Am I interrupting something?” a voice asked.

Lola and I broke apart and saw Brendon standing there. He smiled and walked over to us and sat down next to me.

“No… You go ahead. It’s getting late, and I need to yell at your Tita Julie to bring me back home. I’m tired.” She said.

“Ok…” I said as I gave her another kiss on the cheek.

“It was very nice meeting you, Brendon.” Lola said with a smile.

I looked over at him and then her. I smiled. She remembered for me.

“It was nice meeting you too, Mrs….?”

“Mrs. Taylor. Mrs. Kayla Taylor.” Lola said finishing Brendon’s sentence.

I smiled and got up.

“Do you want me to go find Lolo for you?” I asked.

“You know your Lolo Nate, probably still playing cards with your uncles and Dad. Tell him it’s almost time to go.” Lola said.

“Ok.”

Brendon and I walked hand and hand out of the room and headed towards the garage to tell Lolo that it was time to go. After telling him, we went to go say goodbye to the rest of my family. It was the last time I would be able to see them again since I will be leaving for Europe soon. After we said goodbye, Brendon and I headed towards the car and got in.

“Everything ok with you and your grandma?” Brendon asked as I started the car.

“Yea, everything’s fine. No worries. She just wanted to catch up with me.” I said as he grabbed my hand.

“Ahh ok.”

I leaned in more into his face and looked him straight in the eye.

“Babe, you know I love you right?”

“Of course. I love you too.” Brendon said.

He then leaned in and kissed me passionately, always getting to me. We then pulled apart, but our faces were still close.

“I think we should get home.” Brendon said with smirk.

“I think so too.” I said.

We both smiled and pulled apart. I put the car in drive and headed home, putting the many thoughts in the back of my mind.