She Screams in Her Pillow

The Sun burns Her Skin

"There that covers it," I said, looking in the mirror in my room. I pulled the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt down more, trying to avoid the sleeves riding up too much, showing off my bruises.

I sighed, cringing at I pulled the turtleneck up, covering the other bruise on my neck. I was still in my house, and I was already burning up. I could only imagine the school day. But I knew this was necessary. I had to hide the bruises, the scars, the marks. No one could see the truth. I'd lie of course, saying I was wearing a long sleeve turtleneck during a heat wave because of a skin disease. So what if everyone thought I was weird? At least they didn't know the real reason. Again I sighed. That story wouldn't fly with my best friend Nick. Having been friends with him since we were tots in diapers, he knew I had no skin disease. He'd play along, of course, getting kids to back off when they made fun of me. But he would see right through it.

The doorbell rang. I sighed. Time to face him. I grabbed my bag and ran out of my room. My dad's room door was open. "I'm going to school. I'll be back around 3."

An empty beer can flew out of his room, but he didn't say anything. I cringed as I went down the stairs, answering the door. As always, I smiled my best everything is okay smile. "Hey Nick."

"Hey Val. Ready to go," he asked, looking my outfit up and down. Great, I thought. I wondered when the questions would come.

"Yup," I came out, closing the door behind me. I started walking down the porch and froze. Standing on the driveway, leaning against my dad's car was none other than Joseph Jonas. Joe and I… let's just say that we'd never been on the best terms. It all started when he broke my favorite blue crayon when I was 3 and he was 5. Why, you may ask. Simple. Blue was his favorite color, so I couldn't have a blue crayon. Ever since then, it's been nothing but hatred and pranks back and forth.

"Oh great," I said. "What are you doing here?"

"Nice to see you too Valentina," he smirked. I glared at him for using my full name. "Now are we ready to go?"

He started walking towards the sidewalk. But I didn't move. Instead, I turned to Nick. "What is he doing here?"

"Sorry Val," he shrugged, his face apologetic. "My mom said he had to walk with us today."

"Why," I said through my teeth. "Doesn't he have a car that he refuses to give us a ride in?"

He shrugged. "Joe crashed it."

"Of course," I rolled my eyes.

"I'm really sorry Val," Nick said. "It's just for a few days, I promise."

"Fine," I sighed.

"Are you guys coming or is Valentine talking again," Joe asked.

"Asshole," I mumbled.

"Oh good one," he laughed, rolling his eyes.

"Please Val," Nick pleaded with me.

"Can we just go," I snapped.

We started walking towards school. Man, it was so hot. I wanted to roll my sleeves up, but I knew I couldn't. I couldn't show Nick the bruises. Joe was walking a few feet behind us, trying, of course, to pretend he wasn't walking with us. Or more accurately, with me – the girl with the abnormal skin disease. Nick was looking at me, his face concerned. "Val, why are you wearing a long sleeve turtleneck? It's like 89 degrees." He gestured to his own heat friendly outfit.

Before I could answer, Joe was suddenly next to me. "Cause she's a vampire. The sun burns her skin," he nudged my arm with his elbow.

I winced as his elbow hit one of my newest bruises. Nick threw another concerned look at me. Shit. "My face isn't covered asshole," I rolled my eyes at Joe, trying to play it off.

He pushed my shoulder – barely. Yet pain flew through me. I hadn't known I even had a new bruise here. I guess I had so many now that I couldn't tell which ones were new and which ones were old. "Whatever freak," he said. I winced as he took it too far, as usual.

"Go away Joe," Nick's cold tone surprised me. He usually just didn't take a side when Joe and I were fighting – which was whenever we were in the same room.

Joe, looking at Nick's expression, decided it was in his best interest to leave, because he bolted down the sidewalk.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

Nick hugged me. I cringed as his body touched mine, pain flying through me. He noticed this, and pulled away. "Val, what is with you? Why are you wearing a freaking long sleeve turtleneck in this blistering hot weather? And don't give me that skin disease crap, because we both know it's not true."

"It's nothing," I pulled the sleeves down more.

"No it's not," he said as we approached school.

Kids started calling his name, calling him over. He'd of course, go say hi, pulling me along with him, and then leave to say hi to someone else, still dragging me along. No matter how much I tried to tell him that they were calling him, not me, the freak, as Joe has said, with the weird skin diseases, Nick insisted I come. He would actually grab my wrist, and I'd have to fight just to not cringe as he touched a new bruise, and drag me along with him, insisting that if they couldn't accept his best friend, then he didn't need to talk to them anyway. "Just drop it," I whispered as we drew closer to the crowds of kids standing in front of the school. Near the tree, I could see Joe making out with his girlfriend Devi, the most popular senior, and possibly the bitchiest girl in the school. Figures they'd be together, I scoffed. Wait, why did I care? No, I thought. I didn't care.

"Val," he said firmly, grabbing my wrist. "What is going on? Seriously?"

"It's nothing Nick," I said again, my voice pleading as Idalis, the most popular 10th grader approached us.

He sighed, looking at her. "I will find out Val."

"Later," I said, knowing that was a promise I would not could not keep.

"Hi Nick," Idalis said, smiling at us. "Hey Val."

"Uh hi," I said timidly. Why was she talking to me? No one ever talked to me, even if I was always with Nick.

"Hey Idalis," Nick smiled. They were, of course, in the same group of friends, while Nick was one of my two only friends. "What's up?"

"Mike's having a party Friday," she said. Oh of course, I thought. Everything clicked. The only reason she'd talk to me was if she was inviting Nick somewhere – and to a senior party at that Nick had an annoying way of forcing me to go to these social things by refusing to go unless I did. Damn him and his good best friend skills. "And you guys have to come."

"That'd be fun," Nick said. "Maybe."

"Great," she smiled at him. "See you around then. Bye Val."

She left and I turned to Nick. I said, "Not going" at the same time he said "We are going" – emphasis on the we. I groaned. Once Nick had his mind set, there would be no turning it. "And don't think I forgot about the long sleeves," he said. "I know you're hot and you're going to tell me why."

"Later," I said.

"Fine," he sighed. "You coming over later, sweaty?" He smirked at me.

"Is Joe going to be there," I made a face.

Nick laughed. "Yeah. It's his house too, unfortunately. And my mom made me take down the cardboard box I put for him in the backyard."

I laughed. "Alright then curly. I'll see you later."

"Woah," he grabbed my arm, making me cringe again. "Where you going?"

"Library," I said. I really needed to be in the air conditioning. I was dying right now. And the library was the only place in the whole school with air conditioning. Lucky me.
♠ ♠ ♠
THIS IS DEVI'S CHAPTER!! COMMENT ON HOW GOOD SHE IS!