‹ Prequel: Alone With You

Fragile

Chapter Six.

*Zacky’s POV*

I cried immediately after those words left his lips.

“It wasn’t anything bad, just old age, they don’t live forever.” Brian said

“I know, its just I never got to say goodbye to him.” his eyes quickly glazed with guilt at the fact I was making a fuss over a dog.

“But you would be happy to know that him and Pinkly got jiggy with it and had four puppies.” He laughed

“Really?”

“Yeah, you have two Ichabods and two Pinklys. Ichabod Junior and Spongebob, and Pinkly Junior and Sqarepants. They picked the names.” he laughed pointing at the boys.

The door swung open and I saw my family fly through the door.

“Baby, your awake.” my mom said hugging me. Jordan and Jake both ran over to Brian as the masses of people all crammed into the tiny room. The look on my dads face was one I had never seen before, like a child at Christmas. Matt, my younger brother, had now turned into a mini me. I still didn’t know what I looked like now but he looked just like me when I was his age. I noticed my sister Zina and her husband were now supporting a huge rabble of kids.

“Wow Zina, you have been busy haven’t you.” I said as my mom moved away. She looked at me and smiled

“I only have four.” she said shyly as she walked over to me. She gave me a hug.

“Only?”

“Good to have you back baby bro.” she whispered.

After the whole business with my family saying how much things have been different they finally sat down to engage in proper conversation. I now knew that my parents hadn’t really had much to do with the twins, because it would be strange. I looked around, things were so different now. It was like a movie where you’re basically a kid one day and you wake up and all of your friends have grown up.

“Can you eat?” My sister asked me

“I don’t know, go and ask a doctor or something.” I said as she left the room. I saw Jordan stand back up and crawl back onto the bed. I sat up and bought him onto my lap where he curled up. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him.

“Your like his best friend you know.” Brian said from the chair next to me.

“What?”

“He always would come here. My mom would drop him off after school and pick him up like three hours later and he wouldn’t miss a Saturday without seeing you. He sat there for hours on end talking to you.” he smiled

“Is that true?” I asked Jordan. He simply nodded and went back to trying to sleep. Zina walked back into the room holding a banana and some water.

“The doctor said that you can eat but only light foods.” she said handing them to me.

My mother and father had to leave, something about hitting traffic. They left and Matt followed soon after, until everybody had left and it was just us four left in the room.

I was busy talking to Jordan about how I was six years ago, when a dark haired woman entered the room.

“Brian, we have to go now. The kids have school in the morning and they have already missed one day.” she said

“Denim, the mother,” he looked at me, I nodded letting him continue with that word, “The fatherish mother of Jake and Jordan has just woken up, don’t you think you could be a bit nicer.” Brian said. So this was the mighty Denim. She was pretty, I could give her that. I knew she was the type of girl Brian was into. Her hair was perfectly straight. Her make up was perfect. Her entire body screamed ‘Look at me’.

“I will be right back.” Brian said as he ushered Denim out of the door.

Jake lifted his head from the chair and looked at me.

“I don’t like her.” he said bluntly

“She seems nice.” I said

“But she made daddy’s friends go away, I liked daddy’s friends. And she tries to be our mom and she’s not.” he whined

“She is nice, its just the way she spends all of dad’s money and they have huge arguments over it.” Jordan said

“Well, we will see what happens.” I said snuggling down in the sheets.

“I love you.” the little voice said. I looked down at Jordan and smiled. I hugged him closer to me. I motioned for Jake to come onto the bed as well, he did and bought his game with him. It was nice, just us with nobody else in the room.

“What did you mean by making all of your dads friends go away?” I asked

“Daddy doesn’t really talk to them, they come around, but Denim always looks sad and makes them leave.” Jake said

“Does your dad go out to see them?”

“Sometimes, they came here to see you a lot, something about being in the same room.” he replied.

“So, tell me about yourselves.” I said. That was the one thing I hoped I would never be asking my kids.

“My name is Jake. Erm, I like video games. I like your old band. I don’t like school.” Jake laughed

“And you like a girl called Daina.” Jordan said looking at his brother

“I do not.” he replied

“Okay,” I laughed, “What about you?” I said looking at Jordan.

“Erm, I’m told I’m shy and I don’t like strangers. I like monkeys.” he laughed. The door opened and Brian walked through it with a flustered look on his face.

“Come on guys we have to go now.” he said

Both of them gave me a hug and left while Brian stayed behind.

“I will come back tomorrow, I will try and bring Matt and the guys around to see you.” he muttered looking at his feet.

“Okay.” I said. He walked over and gave me a hug. It wasn’t like the hugs he used to give me, it was more like a hug that you get when you have done something good. He stood back up and walked out. I reached over and took the mirror of the shelf.

I looked at myself. I hadn’t really changed. My hair was the same, my skin was a bit paler, and my snakebites were long gone, leaving two little marks on my lip. I smiled at the thought of seeing my band mates again.