It all started off as a dare

Chapter Five

I wake up the next day knowing that I have to tell Stacey about the pregnancy. She confided to me, now I must confess about this. I turn up at school, shaken with nerves, but prepared to come clean, but she isn’t there. I wait for a while and she still does not arrive. Then the bell goes and I wonder where she has got to. I assume that she must just be running a little late. I head to class on my own and as I’m sitting in English I suddenly remember what she told me yesterday. Dear God, I think to myself as my pulse begins to race she’s gone. Stacey’s run away. I am so very shocked by this that I can’t think of anything else for the rest of that day. How could her Mum do this?
But I know I have to tell someone. And it’s at lunch when I’m sitting opposite Adam, that I realise who it is that needs to know... the baby’s father. My heart is racing, my palms sweaty, my mouth dry as I ask to talk to him privately for a minute. You can tell by the look in his eye that he has a good idea what is coming.
“Adam, I need to tell you something...” I start. Adam nods his head “That night, you... you know what happened, do you?
“Yes, yes I do...” He lowers his head not in embarrassment or regret, but in shame. This confuses me, but I carry on, regardless
“Well, Adam... I’m pregnant... with your child”
“Jacqui, I—“
“I know Adam, it was... it was stupid. But, why?”
“Jax, I need to tell you something...” he starts
“What?” I ask
“I’m gay—“ He suddenly shouts and I take a step back in surprise
“WHAT?” I demand, stunned by this... I am so confused... ”Then why...”
Adam takes my hand “I’m so, so sorry, Jax. You were an experiment—“
I shake his hand off and turn on my heel, speeding away from him, away from his lying face... He follows me, shouting “Jax! Come back, Jax, we need to talk this over!” He follows me all the way outside and eventually grabs me by the shoulders.
“I don’t think you understand Adam! I thought you were special! You’re the bloody father of my child for Christ’s sake! You take my virginity and then tell me it was all a stupid effing test to prove your sexuality!!” I screech all this in hysterics and then break down into tears “and now I suppose you’re gonna just clear off and have nothing to do with me” His face falls at this, and he turns away. As he walks toward the school again he turns and yells “I told you I’m sorry, Jax”
That was the last words I’d hear from him for a long, long while.