‹ Prequel: Dirty Journalism

In Too Deep

Prologue

From: jacquelineb@bartolinlycee.com
Subject: I miss you : - (
Date: 29 December 2008
To: s.harper@jamesacademy.com, a.loring@jamesacademy.com

Stella and Lexi,

FRIENDS! (Or LES AMIES as they say in Paris.) I know you guys are on winter break together right now, because I was supposed to go with you. :-( I hope you’re having fun at the beach!

This is my new school email address. I’m finally settled in my dorm at Bartolin Lycée. As expected, it’s amazingly beautiful, though it’s really cold.

I have two roommates—Annette and Sophie. Annette is the biggest slut on the planet, even more so than Dina. (Crazy, I know.) Sophie collects American candy wrappers and wants to be a tattoo artist in Los Angeles, if that tells you anything. Sophie is never in our room, but I have no idea where she goes. They’re both kind of weird. And they both listen to this terrible French boy band. It. Makes. My. Ears. Bleed.

How’s JA? I miss it so much. But most of all, I miss you guys. :-( How’s the newspaper?

xoxo Jackie

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From: s.harper@jamesacademy.com
Subject: Re: I miss you : - (
Date: 29 December 2008
To: jacquelineb@bartolinlycee.com

JACKIE! (This is from both Stella and Lexi, by the way. But Stella’s typing, because she’s cooler. And now Lexi is trying to get to the keyboard, but she’s not quick enough, because she’s a loser.)

Anyway… WE MISS YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! Thank God we’re not having a new roomie forced upon us. No one can take your place! Have you told your new freaky roommates about us? They better know that Stella and Lexi are ten billion times cooler than they will ever be. TELL THEM.

The newspaper is good. Alex Daley is the new editor, and he’s not half as good as you, but whatever. JA is the same as always. Classes, food, boys… yada, yada, yada. Speaking of boys, Max informed us you visited for a few minutes after Thanksgiving… WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US YOU WERE COMING?? More importantly… WHAT HAPPENED BETWEEN YOU AND MAX????????!!!!!!

We know you hate more than one or two exclamation points or question marks, so we did that to annoy you. You must answer immediately! WE MUST KNOW!

Miss you bunches!!

Stella (the cool one) and Lexi (the loser)

dfjafjhgiaoehrgaeafajfao (Lexi finally reached the keyboard… too bad she can’t type and I just shoved her off the bed. See ya!)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From: jacquelineb@bartolinlycee.com
Subject: Re: I miss you : - (
Date: 30 December 2008
To: s.harper@jamesacademy.com

Yes, yes, yes, Annette and Sophie know ALL about you two. And I have informed them that they can only hope to be halfway as cool as you. (Not really. I mean, you really are cool, but I didn’t really tell them that.)

Uh… Max wasn’t supposed to tell you that. Damn him and his jerkiness. I didn’t want to see you guys and totally break down saying goodbye… because admit it. We’re all pathetic little girls and that goodbye would be a freaking sobfest. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.

Max and I are cool. We’re friends. That’s it. Now calm down with the punctuation, damn it!

Now… I demand details on the gossip of JA! I feel so out of the loop!

xoxo Jackie

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

From: jacquelineb@bartolinlycee.com
Subject: I hate you.
Date: 30 December 2008
To: m.leopold@jamesacademy.com

Hey JACKASS. Remember that thing I said about not telling Stella and Lexi that I came and saw you? Yeah, good job with that. I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

And I miss you.

xoxo Jackie
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much to everyone who wanted a sequel to DJ! I am overwhelmed and I am really, truly thankful. This prologue is a little random, but there is much more to come. After a lot of thought, I think I actually know what happens in the first chapter... victory!

Again, thanks so much for reading. You are all incredibly awesome.

xoxo Dems