‹ Prequel: Dirty Journalism

In Too Deep

Body Heat

Knock, knock.

Max groaned and glanced at the clock on his bedside table. It was almost 3 AM. With a frustrated sigh, he bit out, “What?

“It’s Jackie.”

Max stopped rubbing his eyes and stared at the door. Slowly, he pulled himself to standing position, walked to the bedroom door, and opened it to see Jackie standing there nervously. She was once again in her ducky pajamas.

Jackie stared at Max when he opened the door, a shocked expression on her face. Max frowned. “What?” he asked, questioning her look.

Jackie shook her head quickly and looked down. “Do you usually sleep without a shirt on?” she asked quietly.

Max suddenly remembered that the heat had been blasting, and he had gotten into bed in only pajama pants. Even though he was still mad at Jackie, he couldn’t help but smirk. “Am I making you uncomfortable?”

“You have no idea,” Jackie muttered, loud enough for Max to hear. He grinned in triumph.

“So…” Max prompted, looking at her expectantly.

“I couldn’t sleep,” Jackie explained. “I feel bad. I mean, I’m really, really sorry I was a bitch yesterday. And, okay, maybe having mood swings was a dumb excuse, but it’s just… it’s just… it’s something else hormonal.”

“Did Jackie Bodello just apologize for being a bitch? Call the press!” Max joked, smiling.

“Shut up. And we are the press,” Jackie said, finally moving her eyes to Max’s face. She kept her gaze on his eyes and avoided his bare chest.

You are,” Max corrected, his smile fading. “My parents kicked me off of it.”

“That’s not their decision,” Jackie said quickly. “I’m editor. Dr. Barrie and I are the only people who can kick you out.”

“So… you’re not going to have some kind of unexplainable hormonal mood swing and fire me, are you?” Max asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

Jackie rolled her eyes. “No, I’m not.”

Max smiled at her. They stood in silence for a few moments before Jackie sighed. “Well, I guess I’ll let you go back to sleep,” she said, moving away from the door.

Max grabbed her wrist. “Um… stay in here,” he said quickly, a hopeful glint in his eye.

Jackie frowned. “I was going to go back to sleep, too…”

“Yeah, in here,” Max said. He didn’t know why he was being so persistent. He just really didn’t want Jackie to leave. With a small tug, he pulled Jackie in the bedroom and shut the door.

As Max moved back to his bed, Jackie stood stiffly in the middle of the room. Oh my God, she thought, I’m in his room at three in the morning, and he doesn’t have a freaking shirt on. Holy crap. Does he want me to get in the bed with him or something? Please let him want that…

“Shut up, you stupid hormonal thoughts,” Jackie muttered to herself.

“Huh?” Max asked from his place on the bed.

“Nothing!” Jackie lied quickly.

Max shrugged. “You getting in the bed or what?” He had scooted over to allow space for her.

Oh. My. God.

Jackie sat on the bed.

Why did I try to kiss him in the pool?

She slid slowly under the covers.

Now I can’t be near him without acting like a lovesick teenager.

The pillow smelled like him.

Why can’t we go back to hating each other?

He shifted to face her.

Why did you push him away in Paris? Stupid, stupid Jackie.

He still wasn’t wearing a shirt.

He admitted he wanted you! But have those feelings changed?

She became aware of how thin her ducky camisole was.

Maybe… maybe he feels the same way.

He was clutching an old stuffed puppy.

Oh my God, is that…?

“Meet Nacho,” Max said, grinning as he held up the stuffed animal.

“Was I your substitute for Nacho that night you and Scooter were in our dorm?”

Whoa, Jackie. Where did THAT come from?

Max had a bizarre look on his face. “Yeah,” he said slowly. “You were. And you know what?”

“What?” Jackie said, almost in a whisper.

“You were a lot better.”

No, Jackie. Do NOT start making out with him. BAD idea.

Nacho was tossed to the side and Max slid a hand around Jackie’s waist, pulling her closer. Her thin shirt was pressed against his bare chest.

“Am I making you uncomfortable now?” he asked, his voice low.

Jackie closed her eyes and allowed her head to rest in the crook of his neck. “Yes,” she answered truthfully. “But don’t stop.”

“Wasn’t planning on it.”

Oh. My. God.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two hours later…

“Jackie, you asleep yet?”

“No.”

“Me neither.”

“Obviously.”

“Such a bitch.”

“It’s really hot in here.”

“I told you.”

“Maybe we should take the blankets off.”

“We’re already down to the sheets.”

“God, it’s burning up.”

“It’s because I’m in the room!”

“Shut up, Max. Seriously, I’m sweating.”

“Ew.”

“You are too!”

“Am not!”

“I would know. It is my head pressed against your sweaty chest.”

“….That’s awkward.”

“Uh… yeah… sorry.”

“Maybe you should take your shirt off.”

“What?! I’m a girl!”

“You said you were hot…. Come on, Jackie, don’t turn away from me. Ew, you really are sweating. Your hair is all sticky in the back.”

“Just shut up, Max.”

“I’m sorry I suggested you remove your shirt. I was out of line. Will you face me now?”

“No.”

“Please? No, stop inching away… you’re going to…”

“Shit!”

“….Fall off the bed.”

“Maybe I’ll stay on the floor. It’s cooler down here.”

“That’s weird… you’re lying right next to the vent.”

“Max? There’s cold air coming out of here. Someone must have turned the heat off a few hours ago.”

“Oh… so why is it so hot up here in the bed?”

“Well, two people’s body heat… I guess…”

“I was making you hot, wasn’t I?”

“What? No!”

“Being so close to me was making you sweat!”

“That is not true. And besides, you were sweating too.”

“Well, you make me hot.”

“….Really?”

“Will you get back on the bed now? Thank you.”

“The floor was uncomfortable.”

“Whatever. You just wanted to be close to me.”

“Half-dressed teenage boys are not appealing to me.”

“That’s a lie.”

“Okay, maybe.”

“I think Nacho fell between the bed and the wall. Can I use you again?”

“Um… go ahead.”

“Is this comfortable?”

“Just… move your leg a little…”

“There?”

“That’s good.”

“So… uh… goodnight, Jackie.”

“Goodnight, Max.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so the second part with just dialogue was an experiment. I kind of like how it turned out, but it won’t be a regular thing. Did you like it? I tried to make it a little more comical… I hope it wasn’t too confusing… Anyway, thanks so much for reading! Please comment!