‹ Prequel: Dirty Journalism

In Too Deep

Incredibly Analytical

“I can’t believe he did that,” Lexi said, her eyes wide.

“It’s Max, is it really that hard to believe?” Jackie asked. The three roomies sat in a circle on the floor of their dorm, sharing a bowl of popcorn and lounging in their pajamas. Jackie had just told Stella and Lexi about what had gone on between her and Max in Paris and when she came back.

“Kissing multiple girls isn’t unusual for him,” Stella said, “but kissing them all at the same time is. He’s always been a player, but he was never a cheater.”

“Until you,” Lexi stated.

Jackie frowned. “Max and I have known each other since sixth grade…”

Lexi shook her head. “Until you two fell in love. That’s when he changed.”

“We didn’t fall in love!” Jackie snapped. “And what do you mean ‘he changed’?”

“Oh come on, Jackie,” Stella said, sighing. “He was willing to become a liar and a cheater just so he could kiss you, once when he was with Dina and once with Catie. And beyond that, he’s gone from averaging three or four girlfriends a month to going for several months with just one, who he obviously doesn’t like, and flirting/fighting with a girl he obviously does like. You changed him.”

“You guys are crazy… and incredibly analytical,” Jackie said, shaking her head.

“Maybe, but we’re also right,” Stella responded simply, throwing some popcorn in her mouth.

Lexi continued. “And he changed you, you know.”

“He has not!” Jackie exclaimed, hugging a pillow to her chest.

“Well, there was that weird headache thing last semester after you two were alone for a week,” Stella pointed out.

Jackie shifted uncomfortably, but kept her mouth shut. She didn’t want to tell Stella and Lexi about Michaela. Not yet.

“And,” Lexi added, “you’ve suddenly lost interest in guys. I mean, you’re pretty, you’re smart, you’re… sometimes nice…”

“What she means,” Stella interrupted, “is that you used to be open to dating or hanging out with a guy. That Michael thing that happened at lunch today… sure, he’s a total jerk, but he’s also totally hot, and you used to be the kind of girl who would go for him.”

“I would never have gone for Michael Stevens!” Jackie said, disgusted. “Ever! One, he’s a year younger. Two, those naked text pictures that got sent to every phone last year really turned me off. Three, he gets drunk every weekend. And four, I don’t give chances to jerks.”

“Liar!” Stella and Lexi accused simultaneously.

“What?”

Stella smiled triumphantly. “You said you don’t give chances to jerks, but you dated Max Leopold, Jerk Numero Uno of James Academy.”

“I…. but, you know… he… we…” Jackie stuttered.

“Yeah?” Lexi pushed.

“I got to know Max,” Jackie finally got out. “And besides jerkiness, he’s got some okay qualities, I guess. I mean… it was a mistake, anyway. We’re obviously meant to be friend-enemy-things.”

“Mmhmm…” Stella said, disbelieving. “Keep telling yourself that.”

“Shut up.” Jackie threw a pillow at Stella’s face, and soon the three best friends were engaged in a full-blown battle. As they beat each other up, there was a knock on the door.

“Time out!” Jackie called, stopping the pillow fight. “Well… for me, anyway.” As she walked to the door, Stella and Lexi proceeded to attack one another again.

Jackie flung open the door, laughing, but stopped short. Max stood in the hall, looking both anxious and amused. Jackie was vaguely aware of the popcorn in her hair.

“Am I interrupting a topless pillow fight?” Max asked, smirking.

Jackie rolled her eyes. “What’s up?”

The smile on Max’s face dropped, and he looked nervous again. “Can I talk to you sometime?”

Jackie frowned. “About…”

“Not us,” he said pointedly. “I just need someone to talk to about something. A friend.”

“Is something wrong?”

Max nodded, then shook his head, then shrugged. “I don’t know. Can you meet me at the fountain tomorrow at lunchtime?”

“Sure,” Jackie said, nodding.

Max grinned. “I promise I won’t throw you in.”

“That’s good. Then you won’t fall in too like last time!” Jackie said cheerfully.

“Haha.” Max rolled his eyes. “See you tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow,” Jackie repeated, beginning to close the door.

“Oh, and Jackie?”

She looked at him expectantly. “Yeah?”

“You have popcorn in your hair.”

With that, he turned on his heel and walked down the hall, hands shoved in his pockets, as Jackie stared after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is there anyone in particular you guys see when you picture Jackie and Max? Because Nikki (nikkiXgoesXRAWR, who is awesome, by the way) is making me a banner. I don't know how to describe how I picture them, other than that she's a girl with poofy/curly brown hair and he's a guy with dark brown hair. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas... please tell me! You're all incredibly awesome.

xoxo Dems