‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 13

The Next Day

Pete and I had woken up entangled in each others arms; foreheads pressed together, lips inches apart. Cheeks flushed we had pushed away from each other, thinking of some explanation.

“Uh,” Pete had said nervously, rubbing his neck sheepishly, “I...”

“Um...you should...” I said hesitantly, pointing to the shower and averting my eyes from Pete’s boxers.

Boxers that did nothing other than draw attention to Pete’s “package”; there were six little red arrows and a cheeky little open late.

“I should have-” Pete begins and I groan and turn away from him.

“Can we have this conversation when you’re wearing pants?” I ask, covering my eyes.

“What you wouldn’t hit this?” he laughs, grabbing his towel.

Fifteen minutes later Pete walks out of the shower and into the living room, where I’m pretending to read a book. Instead I’m thinking (too much) about Pete.

Pete was a friend, just a friend. And yeah maybe Pete is a little better looking than most friends but he’s still a friend.

“Sabrina?” he asks, waving his hand in front of my face.

“Sorry what?”

Pete sighs dramatically and collapses on my lap, “you think too much.”

“I just don’t want to hurt anyone or do-,” I mumble and Pete interrupts me, sitting up straighter on my lap.

“That is such fucking bullshit. You’re always hurting people because you think it’s the right thing or some shit. You’re always making things ten times worse than they already are.”

“I’ve known you for a day and all of sudden you know everything about me?!” I ask incredulously.

“Hey everyone knows what you did to Gabe and William.”

I push Pete backwards so that he falls off my lap and I stand up.

“You don’t know anything about me or about what happened!” I shout.

"Well from what I hear you’re a selfish little...” Pete falters and lowers his head, before mumbling an apology.

“Yeah, I’m sorry too,” I mutter trying to help him up, but he pushes my hand away.

“I need to take a walk,” he mumbles, jumping up and grabbing his coat.

“You’re mad,” I point out, but my only response is the slamming of the door.

Oh yeah, he was pissed.

I’d have to go after him. But first I needed to change; I was after all wearing Pete’s boxers. I head into Pete’s room and change into a pair off his jeans, just as the doorbell rings.

I hurriedly button up the pants before rushing to open the door.

“Pete isn’t…Oh um hey Gabe,” I mutter, attempting to smile.

Gabe was right up there with Miley Cyrus on that list of people I didn’t want to see.

“What are you doing here?" he asks, jealousy lacing his tone.

“Pete let me stay here because Daniel’s a dick,” I mumble.

“Oh, I uh-”

“Do you want to come in?” I interrupt and Gabe nods quickly.

“So William hasn't stopped talking about you all morning..." Gabe trails off, watching me for a reaction.

"Oh um...well that's nice," I say nervously, closing the door behind Gabe.

I turn around and Gabe's standing right in front of me.

"You're not going to tell me what's going on?" he asks, blocking my only escape.

"I'm not sure you want to hear it."

"I do."

I sigh, "I kissed William."

"Oh," Gabe says, taking a step away from me.

"Oh great, now you're mad," I mutter.

"No, I'm not mad. I just...are you guys dating now?" Gabe asks, uncertainly.

I shake my head and Gabe brightens considerably.

"That doesn't mean anything okay? You still blew your chance last night," I say and Gabe sighs.

"Why are you making things so difficult?" he asks, putting his arms around my waist.

And I let him do it because maybe I'm enjoying it. Maybe.

"I'm not the who's being difficult Gabe. All you had to do was tell me how you felt. "

Gabe leans down and pushes his forehead against mine and I smile despite myself. What was I getting myself into?

"Gabe-"

Gabe pushes his lips fiercely against mine and I kiss him back. Okay, so maybe this was wrong.

I push Gabe away slightly, (although his hands are still around my waist), "I'm not doing this with you."

"Yes you are," Gabe insists, kissing me lightly again.

I was so close to letting him win. So close to throwing caution to the wind and letting him have me. But I couldn't do that to William or Daniel.

Right?

Either way I couldn't think about anything much less function properly, with Gabe's arms around my waist. I needed to think things through and yeah, maybe I do think too much.

"No I'm not. Look Gabe, you need to leave."

"I'm not-"

I roll my eyes and push Gabe completely away from me, "then I'll go."

"Fine Sabrina," Gabe says, lifting his arms up in defeat.

He gives me a confused look before walking out of the door, just as Pete enters.

I sigh and collapse onto the couch, pulling my knees up to my chest. I needed to think.

"Was that...did something happen?" Pete asks slowly, walking over to me.

“I thought you were mad at me,” I hiss.

“I’m not mad and hey, don’t change the subject. What’s wrong?”

"Nothing's wrong." Pete gives me a disbelieving look and I sigh.

"It's just...it's always so hard to be with him. There's always something or someone in the way. I've been trying to wait until Daniel-"

“You haven’t broken up with him yet?!” Pete exclaims and I shake my head.

He stands up and hands me a coat.

“Are we going somewhere?” I ask slowly, putting the coat on.

Pete nods and pulls me out of the door ignoring the rest of my questions.

“We’re going to break up with Daniel,” Pete finally announces, as the door locks behind him.

“Pete!” I yell angrily.

I couldn't do this. I needed to think of something to say to him.

Pete puts one arm around my waist and kisses my cheek, “you love me right?”

I roll my eyes, “fuck you Wentz.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was rewritten about 5 times and so was Chapter 14 and I still don't like them. = /