‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 2

Hey, Gabe,” I say nervously into the phone.

Daniel’s filling up the car with too-expensive gas, while I sit in the car and call Gabe. I figured it was inevitable and after a half hour of arguing with myself, I decided to do it.

“Who’s this?”

“Erm...it’s Sabrina. I-”

“Where the fuck have you been?” Gabe hisses.

“Would it kill you to say hello?”

“Sabrina, what the fuck is wrong with you? You think it’s okay to stop answering phone calls for six months?!”

“Gabe, I’m sorry. I just thought you... look I just thought you wouldn’t be as mad as everyone else,” I mutter.

After what seems like hours, Gabe sighs, “Fine. Meet outside of the high school in a half hour.”

I snap my phone shut as Daniel pulls open the car door.

“Who was that?” he asks, starting the engine.

I can already hear the jealous edge in his voice so I lie. Just a little white lie.

“Uh, my mom. She's really sick, can you drop me off?”

45 minutes later

“Gabe?” I ask cautiously.

Gabe and I have been walking to nowhere in particular, in complete silence, for about 15 minutes. When I had spotted him, leaning against a tree, perhaps deep in thought, I had run up to him. He didn’t even give me so much as a hello. Instead Gabe had just started walking, motioning with a single flick of his hand for me to follow.

“What?” Gabe mutters, stopping abruptly.

“Look, I know what I did was wrong-”

“Then why did you do it?” Gabe asks, his voice barely above a whisper.

It’s strange. I’ve never seen Gabe like this. I couldn't even describe what this was.

I sigh, “it hurts okay. Everyone was together and you were all so happy. You guys were Barrington’s class of ‘08. Then there was me, graduating from Terrance Hall. Shit, I didn’t want to be there, but you guys were so...I don’t know. I just couldn’t listen to you guys moving on without me.”

“Sabrina, no one’s moving on without you. We all missed you, a lot,” Gabe murmurs.

Gabe leans down to kiss me and I push him away.

“Gabe, I have a boyfriend. I’m-” I begin uncomfortably.

“Then you should probably go back to him,” Gabe says indifferently.

“I didn’t mean to lead you on, I-“

"Look, I don’t care okay?” Gabe hisses, turning down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise it gets better.....