‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 37

I sit back in the booth where most of the other waitresses are sitting. Today was a slow day and most of the tables were empty. There were only a few kids hanging around the restaurant, sipping milkshakes and eating burgers. Thankfully I hadn’t seen Gabe and my shift was ending very soon. Before I can close my eyes though a medium sized blonde jabs me in the ribs. I raise an eyebrow at her and she smiles.

“This is your first day huh?” she asks and I nod.

“Right around this time, the regulars come in. They tip really well,” she adds and I instantly sit up.

“Wait what kind of regulars?” I ask nervously. She points to the door where a large group of people are filing into The Amulet. Gabe is one of the last people to walk in and he’s followed by Victoria. They sit at their own table, which of course is one of my tables.

“Do you want to switch tables...Abigail?” I ask, squinting at her name tag. She shakes her head and gives me a sympathetic look, before heading off to her own table.

I go to the first table, take their orders and blush when I notice that Gabe is staring directly at me. Victoria turns around to see what he’s looking at and frowns. I smile uncomfortably when she catches my eyes and reluctantly walk over to their table.

“Um, are you ready to order?” I ask, but Gabe just stares at me.

“I usually have an um salad...” she trails off, glancing at Gabe.

Gabe,” she prods and he blinks twice.

“You work here?” he asks. I nod and Victoria very visibly kicks him.

What?” he hisses.

Victoria gives me a curt smile, “maybe you should come back later.”

“Um, okay.” I walk back into the kitchen and wait for the cook to fill the orders with Abigail and another waitress.

“Please let me trade tables with you Abigail!” I plead, glancing at Gabe and Victoria. Victoria's talking to Gabe but he just continues staring at me.

“Nobody’s going to trade with you,” the second waitress says, handing me my orders.

“Gabe is too bloody annoying,” she mutters. Her name tag reads Kathleen and I smile brightly.

“Kath-”

“No,” she says bluntly. I sigh and drop off the first table’s order before going back to Gabe’s table. I place Victoria’s salad on the table and glance at Gabe expectantly.

“Did something happen?" Gabe asks.

“Can you just order,” I hiss and Gabe raises both eyebrows.

“Something did happen. What-”

Gabe, just let her do her job,” Victoria interrupts.

“When does your shift end?” he asks and Victoria kicks him again.

“Stop it.”

“I’m just gonna go,” I mumble, glancing at the clock. My shift ended in ten minutes but I couldn’t take Gabe anymore. He really was too fucking annoying. I walk straight out of The Amulet and curse under my breath at the red light.

“Sabrina!” Gabe shouts.

“Fucking red lights. Fuck,” I mutter, as he gets closer.

“What’s going on with you?” he asks, when the light turns to the walk signal.

Gabe sees it when I do and he grabs my arm, “you’re not running away until you tell me what’s going on.”

“Why can’t you be a normal guy and let me go?” I ask but Gabe doesn’t smile.

“Sabrina, I’m serious.” I raise an eyebrow, but his facial expression never changes.

“I’m fine okay?” I mumble.

Gabe narrows his eyes but doesn’t say anything. Instead he glances at something over my shoulder and heads back inside. I turn around in confusion, to find Kate waving frantically from across the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!