‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 38

My mom says that I’m grounded until further notice. According to her The Amulet’s manger had called and told her that I’d left early. Then after noticing Kate standing uncomfortably behind me, she sent me upstairs with a ‘we’ll talk later.’ To say I was scared out of my mind was an understatement. My mom had never been a strict parent and now I was being punished. I didn’t know what had sparked her sudden change but I wasn’t about to ask.

Kate watches me pace my bedroom in amusement. She wasn’t too concerned with my punishment; no she’s a bit more concerned with my relationship with Gabe. Ever since we left The Amulet she’d been trying to convince me to tell Gabe that I was “in love with him.” Except I don’t even know how I feel about Gabe anymore. I was still completely unsure but everyone else seemed convinced.

“If you tell him how you feel-”

“Not gonna happen,” I interrupt and Kate sighs.

“You wouldn’t have as many problems if you just told him,” she tries again and I roll my eyes.

“No I’d have more problems because Gabe would be the worst boyfriend ever.”

“You don’t know that,” she protests.

“I don’t know a lot of things about Gabe,” I point out.

“If you went on maybe one date with him-” she begins.

“See you’re implying that I actually want to know more,” I interrupt.

Sabrina,” Kate says in a chiding tone.

“You have no idea how terrifying a date with Gabe sounds to me.”

“But you love him so-” she starts, as my phone starts to ring. I shoot her a glare and answer my phone.

“Hey this is Victoria. I’m uh calling to warn you,” she begins nervously.

“Warn me?” I ask, glancing at Kate.

“Well yeah. Gabe went by your old apartment and he noticed that you had moved out. He sounded a little angry about it,” she explains.

“Shit. Um do you know where he is now?” I ask, causing Kate to raise both eyebrows. I turn the speaker phone on and wait for Victoria to answer.

“No clue. He just came by my place yelling and stormed off.”

“Well thanks anyway,” I mutter.

“Wait Sabrina. I actually wanted to talk to you. Maybe over some coffee?” she asks. I turn to Kate and mouth a frantic ‘what do I say?’ Kate responds with a thumbs up.

“Um sure. Actually, you can come over for dinner tonight,” I suggest, but Kate starts shaking her head frantically.

“Well okay. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.”

Victoria hangs up and I glance at Kate, “what?”

“Are you sure you’ll be alive by dinner? I mean first your mom, now Gabe. I wonder if they’re planning revenge...” she trails off. I almost call Kate’s idea stupid but then I start to think about it. That could actually happen.

“Mom!” I shout, following Kate downstairs. We bolt down the stairs and into the living room where my mom is speaking into the phone. Kate and I sigh in relief and the doorbell rings.

“Sabrina, can you get that?” my mom asks.

“It’s probably just Victoria,” I mutter to myself.

"Not with your luck," Kate mutters.

I pull open the door and smile weakly at Gabe.

“Hey Gabe!” I exclaim, with fake enthusiasm.

“We need to talk.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I just got a new computer(!) so updating will most likely be easier and faster.
Yeah I know it's a bit of a filler...