Status: Go to my profile page for more info.

Beneath the Glass

019

"No, actually your car is the first I’ve ever puked in,” I explain, attempting to stifle my laughter.

“Well that’s an honor,” he mumbles and I laugh.

William and I were at a small restaurant a few blocks away from my apartment. We had finished our food an hour ago but leaving wasn’t exactly an option. We were actually having a lot of fun together.

“It is! You get a trophy and everything too,” I point out. We fall into a comfortable silence that William almost instantly breaks.

“So, what did you do before you got fired?” he asks.

“Photography. I even went to school for it, but things happen you know?”

“Like what?”

“Jake happened. I don’t really want to talk about it though,” I mumble, giving William a pointed look.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to uh-” he begins nervously.

“No, it’s fine.”

“Maybe we should get back,” he suggests, already pushing away from the table.

“No wait! I can’t um…I can’t go back there without having a drink,” I mumble, without looking at him. It wasn’t the drinking I was ashamed of, it was the fear. Only a select few people knew my weaknesses and I had never directly told them. My mother was my biggest fear and William already knew too much for someone I hardly knew.

“You told me you weren’t an alcoholic,” he points out.

“We should get going. Nicole’s going to be pissed.” William studies my face for a few seconds before nodding in agreement.

Later

“I’d yell at you but mom should be here any minute. Oh by the way, I told Alex to come by and support you,” Nicole adds.

“Wait Nicole, you have to uninvite-” I begin, but the sharp sound of the doorbell cuts me off. Nicole gives me a reassuring smile and William gives me a pat on the back. None of it helps.

“Ready?” Nicole asks and when I don’t answer her smile falters. She clears her throat uncomfortably and pulls open the door.

My mother is 5’8” and with long brown tresses spilling from her head. She has an air of complete and total self-assuredness about her and her perfect features only seem to encourage that. She smiles at Nicole and pulls her into a hug. I can’t breathe. My mother, Carla, pulls away from Nicole and glances at me.

“Why are you wearing that Angela?” she asks and I guiltily glance down at my shirt from last night.

“I’ll change,” I mumble, standing up.

“Don’t bother. I doubt that you own anything better,” she mutters, before sitting down across from William. I sit down next to William and stare shamefully down at my feet.

“Well um, mom, this is my boyfriend, William,” Nicole says, latching onto his hand.

“Well aren’t you two cute!” Carla exclaims. Nicole sighs in relief and kisses William’s cheek. I roll my eyes, but my mother catches it.

“So what about you Angela? How’s that boy you were seeing?” Carla asks and I pale. I couldn’t tell her that Jake had dumped me.

“Well, we’re um-”

“She’s got a new boyfriend now. He’s much better than Jake. Right Angie?” Nicole chimes in.

“Yeah, um, his name’s Alex-” I begin but she cuts me off.

“So, what happened? Jake didn’t love you as much as he thought he did?”

Mom,” Nicole hisses.

“Okay, let’s talk about your job then Angela. Nicole says you’ve been promoted?” my mother asks and I turn to Nicole in confusion.

The doorbell rings and we both make a mad dash at the door. I reach the door first and pull it open, thankful for a distraction. Alex is standing at the door, holding one red rose and looking absolutely incredible. Nicole smirks and raises an eyebrow, “what do we have here?”

I push Alex backwards, step outside and shut the door behind me.

“You shouldn’t have come,” I say, resting my hands on my hips.

“Nicole told me I should… but if you want me to go I will,” he says quietly.

“No, it’s fine. It’s just…just a bad time,” I finish, running a hand through my already messy hair.

“Are you alright? You seem-” he asks, taking a step closer to me.

“Yeah, um I’m fine. Uh…Is that for me?” I ask, pointing to the rose that he was holding.

“Yeah, I thought, we could go out for dinner or something. But you-”

“Would love to go,” I interrupt. Alex furrows his brow, “but-”

“Do you want to go on this date or not Alex?” I ask and he slowly begins to smile.

“Of course I do.”

“Then let’s go,” I say taking the rose in one hand and grasping Alex’s hand in the other.

“Shoudn’t you tell Nicole you’re leaving?” he asks and I shrug. “I’ll call her on the way.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so...comments, questions?