Revelations

Chapter One

For once, the city was silent. Skyscrapers stood together, yet solitary at the same time. Broken windows in each building hinted toward a major incident that had befallen the city long ago. The full moon glowed down on the ghost city, its sombre face reflected in the dirty water of the fountains which had long-since been neglected.

Litter shuffled uncomfortably through the streets, while the only vehicles on the road were those that had veered off the lanes and gone crashing into shopfronts or street lamps. A couple of cars were burnt-out-husks, with evidence of human remains scattered carelessly about. Roots pushed their way through the concrete of the footpaths and the asphalt of the roads.

Stores bore signs of vandalism, with broken glass sparkling on the streets in the moonlight. It was evident, however, that these shops had been abandoned months, no, years ago and the doors and walls were smothered with notices reading “abandoned,” “vacant”, “moved,” or “seized”.

But, if one peered closer at the abandoned city then one could see, momentarily, the shapes moving through the streets, down the alleys, flitting from building to building with remarkable speed. Beyond the speed of any human being.

The newcomer curled back his lips in a snarl and, without a sound, made his way into one of the side alleys where the moonlight didn't reach. He was immediately encased in darkness, just the way he liked.

His hand was at his side, on a black leather holster where a pistol was comfortably sheathed. The ammunition within glowed, proving to be his one and only source of light in the darkness that surrounded him.

He confirmed his suspicions that this alleyway had a dead end when he reached forward and felt the coarse brick wall of a windowless building. He turned around and moved forward ever so slightly. Then he waited.

With absolute patience, he backed against a wall to the left and saw his target prowling the streets for food.

The creature turned and still didn't see the man hiding in the shadows. It's face was inhumanly pale, and indescribably beautiful. No blood stained the snow-white face of the vampire yet. It seemed as if it had just emerged to hunt.

The man couldn't believe that there was anyone left in the ghost city. Anyone sane, anyway. He'd heard of a blood factory, however, but that was only open to certain vampires, not vigilantes.

So without another thought, the man drew his gun and shot. The glowing bullet shot through the air, and hit true, straight through the heart. The creature let out an unearthly shriek, reminding the man of a banshee, and the skin of the creature began to crack and reveal blue light from the UV bullet. Then, with one last howl, the vampire exploded into dust.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done, thought the man with a smirk.

He sheathed his gun and emerged from the darkness to eye the corpse with disgust. He kicked at the smoldering mess with his booted foot and a cloud of dust erupted.

A chill breeze blew through the streets and the man's black duster lifted gently. He was clad in black pants under steel-toed boots, along with a tight-fitting black shirt over which was some sort of breastplate that appeared to be lightweight, but strong. At the waist of this man was a belt from which hung a multitude of various gadgets along with the two guns. Among the gadgets was a badge marking him as a detective.

It was clear to the man that the vampire's dying sounds had been heard all throughout the infested city and he immediately shot back into the shadows of another alley. Upon closer inspection of this alley, the man realised that a ladder hung down the side, leading to the roof where he could watch the vampire gathering.

He climbed up the ladder swiftly and silently, and hoisted himself up to the top of the building. He could see at least a dozen vampires near the ashes of the one he had slain. Their pale, angelic faces were contorted in anger and grief. A couple of others were moving outward, their noses sniffing to catch a human scent.

The man ducked his head, knowing all too well how keen a vampire's senses were. If they caught his scent...

The vampires were whispering amongst themselves, probably discussing what had occurred. It was rare for vampires to be killed these days, especially by a human since there were precious few left.

Suddenly a dark head snapped up, and the man's eyes widened, but he remained absolutely still. He could see that the vampire was not looking his way. In fact, he was eyeing a newcomer, another vampire who clearly didn't belong.

A low growl tore from the lips of the vampire nearest to the newcomer.

“Relax, Quinn,” said the leader of the gang. It was obvious that he was the leader, for the vampires formed a protective ring around him and he appeared older, stronger. “He's one of us.”

“He stinks of human,” commented another vampire, smaller, probably a teenager.

“I made him,” the leader said in a voice so soft that the man watching from the rooftop almost didn't catch it. “He was my trojan horse.”

The newcomer let out a rumbling, respectful growl. He folded his arms across his broad chest and held his head high. “The task was successful,” was the response.

The leader was clearly pleased when he touched his underling in a grateful gesture. “Congratulations. You have just become one of us.”

The man on the rooftop noticed the group disperse and the ashes of the deceased vampire drifted along slowly in the midnight breeze. He stayed absolutely still, hardly breathing, not daring to make a sound, until he was certain the vampires had returned to their lairs.

Eventually he gathered up the nerve to stand and look around. He spotted a door on the roof, and re-evaluated his escape plan. He was right in the middle of the city, which was crawling with vamps. If he stayed somewhere until daybreak, he could get out safely. He'd found out all he needed to know.

Cautiously, the man went over and pulled the door open. He had his hand on his belt, where his gun was sheathed. He was ready for anything that was going to fly out at him.

But there was nothig waiting for him. There was silence.

Letting out a small, relieved breath he stepped inside and saw another door in front of him. He shut the outer door and sat down with his back against it. This was as good a place as any to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there is is! Chapter numero uno!! please comment, I would really appreciate it. And this isn't going to be like other vampire stories, I promise!!