Revelations

Chapter Three

“Master.”

Devanik could hear that voice snaking its way into his consciousness, forcing him out of his trance-like state. He shook off the remnants of nostalgia and paid more attention to the world around him. The wind gently caressed his frozen face and he smiled as smile devoid of any human feeling. He had lost that side long ago.

“How long until sunrise?”

“Three hours, perhaps less,” the minion replied.

The vampire turned, his dark eyes cold and calculating. “Any success with the hunt?”

There was a brief shake of the head from the other vampire. His eyes were the colour of the summer sky, bright and clear. It was a complete contradiction of the darkness within his unbeating heart. Devanik had created that darkness.

“My child,” the vampire said, looking down upon the younger vampire. “I want that human caught. I want him brought to me. Alive.”

Devanik shifted his dark-eyed gaze back to the city before him. He recalled the days, almost fifty years ago, when the stench of humanity hung heavily in the air. He would sense millions of beating hearts, yet he was confined to the darkest, dankest corners to avoid the sun and the incessant flow of people.

The ancient vampire looked upon humanity with distaste. Humans didn't deserve to own the earth. They took no care of nature, nor did they conserve the precious resources granted to them. Over half the human population lived in poverty and despair while the greedy, large and rich ones would carelessly shove food into their mouths. They didn't care for the dying.

Devanik had decided that humanity deserved death and destruction. He personally couldn't care less; he didn't feel emotion the way a human did. All sense of morality left him when he turned into the bloodsucking fiend he was, and with it his soul. His memories were there, of course, but they had faded considerably over the years, like a pair of jeans washed too many times.

“Leave me, Alonso,” Devanik murmured when he sensed the vampire still standing there awkwardly. “Send up Patrick.”

He didn't tear his eyes off the view before him once. It was his city now. It all belonged to him. And soon enough, there would be no such thing as a free human. He would see to that. Humanity had its chance to rule, and they failed miserably. But a vampiric empire would last... forever.

The moon hung in the sky, full and silver. The midnight blue of the sky was dotted with stars, each one sparkling like diamonds against velvet. Oh, how Devanik longed for it to be constantly night, without the fear of sunrise and the hiding whilst humans could wander about freely beneath the rays of the sun.

“Soon,” he whispered in his ancient, haunting voice.

After a moment he was aware of a presence near him. Without so much as glancing in that direction, he knew who it was.

“Patrick,” he said.

The vampire named Patrick was very handsome before his death, and now the paleness of his features accentuated his dark eyes, and his brown hair. He had changed since Devanik had last seen him. He now wore black trousers and a black shirt, the standard attire for anyone working for Devanik. Vigilante vampires feared the name Devanik, and for good reason. He was the one who ruled the city, and before long he would seize control of the state, the country, and finally, the world.

“I'm very proud of you, my son,” said the older vampire.

“Your plan was genius, master,” murmured Patrick.

“The Trojan Horse wasn't my idea,” responded Devanik. “But it was brilliant. They never suspected you, at least, not until it was too late to do anything about it. So you and the others turned them?”

Patrick inclined his head. “We did. I expect that they will be arriving soon.” He paused. “If you don't mind me asking... why did you ask me to turn them? From what I have heard, the last thing the city needs is more vampires. We're low on food.”

“Ahh,” Devanik said. “But once the blood bank opens, everything will be better.”

“Wouldn't it have been better to bring them back alive, then?” Patrick looked confused.

“No. Newborn vampires still carry some human habits. To lure more humans, we need to have vampires like that. Some of us have been dead for far to long. I, myself, can hardly remember what it's like to be human.” Devanik sighed. “But human emotion is a disgusting thing. Uncontrollable.”

Patrick said nothing more. He stared at the view from the highest skyscraper in the city. The wind whipped at Devanik's crisp black hair and his long coat billowed in an outwards fashion. He shoved his large hands into the deep pockets of his coat and turned to Patrick.

“I expect that they will be arriving a little after sunrise. They will travel through the sewer system,” said Devanik, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

“How long does it take for them to turn?” Patrick inquired.

“About six hours,” was the response. “You may leave.”

The young vampire did not need to be told twice. He melted into the darkness, disappearing from sight in an instant. Devanik caught a flicker of movement near the rooftop entrance as Patrick began making his way down the long, winding staircase.

After a moment or two of thought, Devanik moved away from the edge of the tall building and left the rooftop. He had work to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked it! Please comment XD