Status: Updates very rare but happen randomly after long periods of time

Stay With Me

Chapter 10

Jolyne sighed and sipped from her hot cup of chocolate milk. She wondered what she could do with Lexy today. Ever since Evey left for the Netherlands for that band photoshoot, Lexy hadn’t been really active. Both Shakey and Jolyne had made sure the girl’s mind wasn’t on her girlfriend being away but on other small things. They gave her tasks around the house, took her with them on grocery shopping (this time without the batman costume, Jolyne was surprised at this since it wasn’t normal) and Shakey had even taken her shopping. A hilarious sight when they came home and he was overloaded with bags with a slightly more cheerful Lexy following.

Evey was bound to return in a few days but they were running out of plans to keep Lexy busy, and they had to keep her busy since otherwise, the girl would just lay on the couch, sigh deeply every few seconds and then pout, walking around the house aimlessly. It was annoying Jolyne, who was trying to clean up the house completely now that Evey wasn’t home for once to mess it all up again.

Of course, Shakey had seemed to taken up the responsibility to just mess up everything, including the bed room he had in the house. Evey and Lexy’s bedroom stayed clean and that didn’t surprise Jolyne anymore, they all knew that Evey was the messiest of them all.

Putting her empty cup in the sink, Jolyne went up the stairs and immediately entered the room where Lexy was sleeping. She didn’t hesitate to turn the light on and then walk over to the windows to open them and roll up the blinds. Underneath the dark blanket, a small figure moved and made some annoyed noises but soon laid still again. Jolyne shook her head and walked over to the bed before pulling the covers away from Lexy’s sleeping figure.

“Bat’s are nocturnal!”

“You’re not a bat, you’re just someone who thinks she is,” said Jolyne dryly.

Lexy pretended she didn’t hear it, sat up on the bed and stole the blankets back, pulling them all over herself again before turning her back to Jolyne. The older girl sighed and shook her head before ending up with a smirk on her lips.

“Fine, if you won’t get it, I’ll just have to get Shakey to wake you up then,” Jolyne said slowly, already starting to make her way towards the door.

“Okay, fine,” Lexy sighed, sitting up again and using her fists to rub the sleep out of her eyes, “I’m up already.”

Jolyne smirk grew bigger before the two girls found their way downstairs. Shakey had once been ordered by Jolyne to wake Evey and Lexy up, however, he had taken it the wrong way and of course taken the opportunity to prank the two sleeping and unsuspecting girls. All Jolyne knows about the whole ordeal is that Evey quickly came running down in her pyjama’s soaked with a substance that Jolyne didn’t recognize as it had a very distingued colour. Bright green. It was thick slime or some sort. She had asked Shakey about it once but he had refused to give away his secret. Lexy had followed Evey only seconds later but had gotten so much of the green stuff all over her that she dripped it all over the floor and ended up falling down the stairs.

“Can we make a cake today?”

“Uh…sure?” Jolyne asked it more to herself than answering to Lexy’s question as she placed a plate of pancakes in front of the girl’s nose.

Lexy smiled tiredly and tucked in on the pancakes, taking huge bites after each other and shocking Jolyne briefly before she just sighed and made another cup of hot chocolate milk for herself.

“Where’s Shakey?”

“Sleeping, still,” Jolyne rolled her eyes, even though they’ve been all living together for several years now, Shakey was still on the British time and so, demanded that he was allowed to sleep longer than all the others since his inner clock was an hour behind. The three girls had laughed at this logic, claiming that Lexy was also British and had no problem with the time difference but the man hadn’t budged from his demand.

“If he’s allowed to sleep longer, why aren’t I?”

“Because, Evey is coming home in a few days and I want you to be more productive now instead of moping around here waiting for her to walk through that door.”

“You sound like my gym teacher from high school,” Lexy muttered. Jolyne glared at the girl, which was all she needed to do before Lexy got the message. Evey and Lexy often compared Jolyne to teachers they had had in high school because she often acted like them, but thankfully, Jolyne knew that it was all just a joke. At least, she hoped it was.

“Well then I’m sure you were very productive in gym.”

“No, not really,” Lexy bit her lip and stared ahead of herself.
__________________________________________

“So tell me again, how do I do this?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be smarter than me about these things?”

“Yeah but you do it a lot more than I do and Evey isn’t here to pest her with questions about it so you’ll have to do.”

“Oh so I’m just a replacement question box until my girlfriend comes back is that it?”

“Basically, yeah that’s it.”

“I hate you,” Lexy grumbled, glaring at Shakey sitting next to her on the couch. He was asking several questions about the whole thing Lexy was writing and the whole scheme of details that went with the story.

“Well you see, Alexandra is the daughter of Bruce and some chick, and Bruce finds out, or something, but he’s with Tony and like, Alexandra is all attacked by Scarecrow because he knows who she is, and then Batman has to save her. But it all ends up with Tony and Bruce trying to hide their secret identities around Alexandra while she already knows. The two men just don’t know that she knows.”

“That sounds more complicated than Evey’s thoughts.”

“It’s not complicated at all, it’s a really easy plot, besides, I’ve been working on it for a while now so all the complicated stuff is out of the way already.”

“I see,” Shakey nodded, putting a finger on his chin and leaning back on the couch, he thought about the whole thing that Lexy had just told him and remained silent with the young girl staring at him, her laptop discarded on the table in front of them.

“You can’t complain because half of the time when Evey is talking about Watchmen, nobody understands her because the whole plot is so damn complicated, this story is easy to read compared to that graphic novel.”

“Everything is seemed easy when compared to that graphic novel, the whole thing is just a maze to get through.”

“It’s pretty good though, from what I heard and read of it.”

“You just like it because your girlfriend likes it and the Nite Owl guy looks like Batman.”

“That’s so not true.”

“Yes it is, and you know it is!”

“Oh shut up,” Lexy rolled her eyes and pouted.
__________________________________________

And the riot squad are restless, they need somewhere to go, and the only sound that’s left when the ambulances go is Cinderella sweeping up on Desolation Row!” Lexy sang.

“Stop singing the wrong lyrics woman,” Jolyne grumbled, “you and I both do that it only fucks up great songs when you do that.”

“You do it all the time, then why can’t I?”

“I’m mother superior!”

“No, you’re not,” Lexy shook her head, “you just wish you could be.”

Jolyne rolled her eyes and stood up, hitting Lexy on the back of her head before sititng back down and grinning accomplished. She leaned back on the couch and closed her eyes, not seeing Lexy pick up her headphones and put them in her ears before she started to sing the song again.

Now at midnight all the agents, and the superhuman crew. Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do. Then they bring them to the factory where the heart-attack machine is strapped across their shoulders and then the kerosene is brought down from the castles by insurance men who go check to see that nobody is escaping to Desolation Row!"

“Please stop singing that song,” Jolyne moaned, “It’s starting to get on my nerves.”

“Pish posh, you don’t know how awesome this song is!”

“It’s a cover, the original isn’t even that good.”

“Yes it is! You try to write an 11 minute long song and make it that cultural.”

“It’s not even cultural!”

“Yes it is! Stop denying things! Just because you keep saying things doesn’t mean they’re true.”

Jolyne rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time that day and just ignored Lexy. She looked at her nails and wondered why they were looking so good today. Now she had nothing to do. Instead, she started looking around her own house, her living room looked rather clean, so she could forget cleaning too. She had just had breakfast, so no point in cleaning up the kitchen since she always did that immediately after it. Basically, she realized she had nothing to do.

“Hey everyone, I’m home.”

“Come back later, I’m busy,” Jolyne grumbled, looking back at her nails and glaring at them, silently hoping one of them would split by the angry glare.

Shakey looked from left to right, looking rather uncomfortable before he moved back into the hall, waiting a few seconds before he walked back into the hallway, again proclaiming that he was home.

“Still busy!”

“Well screw you then, I’m going to the kitchen,” Shakey pouted, disappearing into the kitchen as soon as he could.

“What was that?” Lexy asked, finally removing her headphones and looking up from the magazine she had taken from the coffee table.

“Just a fly passing by.”

“I’m not a fly!” Shakey yelled from the kitchen.

“Oh, okay,” Lexy shrugged.