Fresh Homemade Jam
N.B. The quantity of jam should be the same as the quantity of sugar.
N.B. Use a wooden spoon to prevent accidental burns.
Ingredients - This makes a medium sized jar's worth.
- 2 cups fruit - fruit should be rich in pectin.
- 2 cups sugar.
- 2 cups water.
- dried artificial pectin - if fruit being used contains no pectin.
- Clean and wash the fruit, peeling them if necessary and removing the flesh from the pit.
- Simmer the fruit in the water until it's softened.
- When the fruit has been softened, add the sugar gradually and stir continuously to prevent lumps.
- Cook the mixture on low heat until the mixture is sufficiently thick.
- Place a plate in the freezer until it becomes very cold.
- Place a spoonful of the jam on the centre of the plate and let it cool.
- Push it with the back of the spoon.
- If it wrinkles -pushes on the plate but doesn't break- it is set.