@ Desilu: that'd be awesome :) If you'd like, you can post it here
    June 30th, 2010 at 12:58am
  • Acid Milk

Acid Milk (100)

:
    Confusion Girl:
    Beginner's Tutorial

We will be making this today, a simple banner:

1) We're going to start by opening a new document, start by opening Gimp and press ctrl +n. Make the dimensions 500 x 150. After that, click the fill bucket and fill the background with black. If you don't have gimp, download it at the site (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post where to download it, as some sites don't allow it. But just google Gimp, and it'll lead you to the official site. It's free, too!)

2) We're going to be using images from this site. You can choose any pictures you want. But since this is a beginner's tutorial, choose two pictures to blend. Once you've chosen two, save them to your computer.

3) Go back to your Gimp browser and press ctrl + alt +o and select your pictures. Place the images wherever you want them to be. Once you've got the composition of the pictures where you want them, take the flip tool and flip one of the pictures (preferably the one on the left) and then flip it again. By doing this, it creates a layer mask, so that when you erase it, it erases the background.

4) Click the eraser tool. You have many options, but I like to use soft brushes. To make a soft brush, press ctrl + shift + b, which opens up the brush selection dialogue box. At the bottom, there's an icon, choose the one with the pencil in it (if you hover over it, it reads Edit Brush). Make the radius whatever size you want, you can choose any setting you'd like, but set the hardness to 0.00. Then you can close the dialogue box, and start erasing the unwanted parts of the picture you don't want.

5) After that, right click on the top picture on your layer box, (if it's not showing up, press ctrl + L) and click flatten image. After that, press ctrl + shift + n, press enter, and then on the toolbox, select the gradient tool. Drag from the bottom of the picture to the top. On the layer's panel, choose multiply for the mode. You can choose the opacity (which determines how dark the picture will be.)

6) use this texture (credit to Uferlos) and then press ctrl + alt +o. select the picture, and go to colors >> desaturate. After that, drag the picture so that only a little is showing. Set the mode to lighten.

7) Add Text! I used Day Roman. And that's it, so save it and upload to photobucket or tinypic. if you've got any questions, just ask on this thread! And make sure when you save, save it as a png, but adding .png to the end.
    This is a really great tutorial. Like... wow. In Love

The only problem I had is, it wouldn't let me use the erasers properly? Maybe I was doing it wrong, haha.
    July 4th, 2010 at 09:19pm
  • Acid Milk

Acid Milk (100)

:
    Wow, I feel like such a loser for making this... but also oddly accomplished. File

It's me and my future husband, Matthew Gray Gubler. Happy face Ignore mah uglies.

July 5th, 2010 at 04:51am
  • callisto

callisto (100)

:
    ^ sorry for not anwswering earlier! That's really great by the way :) GAHHH Matthew Gray Gubler! He is just adorable! And you're not ugly, you're pretty :) if you have questions, just shoot me a message
    July 5th, 2010 at 12:09pm
  • urnf

urnf (100)

:
    Basic Blending
    Using Adobe Photoshop.

First, we’ll be taking two images. Preferably two photos with a similar background. We’ll be using these two images of Kristen Stewart.

Then we’ll open a new canvas in Photoshop, by doing so you: file > new, then for width put 500, and for length put 300.

After colouring the images however way you want, highlight all of the layers by clicking the first layer or so above the “background image” of the original photo, and then move your mouse to the end of colouring [wherever it stops], then hit shift [or hold it] and left-click “flatten image”.

Now, resize the images. I made the first image the width of 500 and left the height alone. The second image I made the width 500 as well and left the height alone.

Hit the letter ‘v’ on your keyboard and drag the first picture onto the canvas. Align it on the canvas and then do the same with the other image. Only move the second image over a little to the left. Position till how you want it.

Yes, the images will overlap but that’ll be fixed as soon as you click the 'brush tool' [or hit ‘b’ on your keyboard]. Make sure the brush paint is black, and make the brush tool about 100, and if you want to work on the smaller details, enlarge the canvas by adjusting the zoom in and out’s on the side of the image viewer. Now, on the top image, your second image, look at the bottom of the tasks and find the “layer mask”.

There should be a little gray box with a white circle in the center of it near the image. Click that box and began outlining the image with the paintbrush tool in order to erase some of the image to make it look like a blend.

Add textures, fonts, anything [be sure to sharpen both layers, and then flatten everything as soon as you're sure your done]. Any questions please feel free to PM me or ask here (:. I hope some of this makes sense. If not, ask me and I’ll try clearing it up for you (:
    July 6th, 2010 at 12:19am
  • callisto

callisto (100)

:
    ^that's amazing! great job, and that's very helpful :) If it still had the free trial, I'd do it :)
    July 6th, 2010 at 12:27am
  • She Said Poptarts

She Said Poptarts (150)

:
    Board Moderator
    Basic Blending.
    - this tutorial is for Paint Shop Pro X2

1.) Okay, first you need to open a new document. File > New, and for the width put 550px, and for length put 350px. You can have Vector Background checked, or Raster, it doesn't matter.

2.) Take these two pictures of Mr. Gaskarth. Small Alex and Big Alex, name them as both Small Alex and Big Alex. (: Now drag them onto the new document, and fit them together however you want. If Big Alex isn't at the top of the layers, drag it to the top, and now he should be layered above Small Alex, and now part of him is missing. If you want big Alex turned the opposite direction like mine, just go to Image > Mirror or CTRL+M.

3.) Now for the blending, you're going to take the selection tool that looks like this. And the settings on top will change, make sure the Selection Type is on Rectangle, Mode as Replace and Feather should be at 30 or 35. Okay, now select a piece of Big Alex's dark background and press delete on your keyboard, keep doing that until your satisfied with the outcome.

4.) Now, your finished! (: Just go to Layers > Merge > Merge All (Flatten), now you can play around with the blend to however you like, colorize it a bit, add text, any textures... I used textures from here.

.. I tried! I hope it helped, I'm not really good with explaining. Any questions, just ask! Cute
    July 6th, 2010 at 06:52am
  • urnf

urnf (100)

:
    ^ I like that tutorial a lot :D. Or well, the blend (: Because it's so pretty looking. But if I had Paint Shop Pro, I'd try it for sure (:. Nice job.
    July 6th, 2010 at 10:50pm
  • Water Elephant

Water Elephant (100)

:
    This was my attempt at the gimp one:

I couldn't figure out how to add the texture though. But it was my first try at it and I am slightly pleased with the results. Great tutorial.

And this was my attempt at the photofiltre one:

I loved the tutorial and I am happy with what I got.
    July 8th, 2010 at 10:07pm
  • She Said Poptarts

She Said Poptarts (150)

:
    Board Moderator
    ^ Awe, they turned out great!
    Cute
    July 8th, 2010 at 10:34pm
  • Water Elephant

Water Elephant (100)

:
    ^ Thank you.
    July 8th, 2010 at 10:36pm
  • urnf

urnf (100)

:
    ^ I really loved the Photofiltre one (: it turned out amazing.
    July 8th, 2010 at 11:32pm
  • She Said Poptarts

She Said Poptarts (150)

:
    Board Moderator
    ^ They really did. lol, you made two pictures look like one.
    Hahah, no really.. they look like you haven't blended them together.
    July 8th, 2010 at 11:38pm
  • nedfrid.

nedfrid. (100)

:
    Water Elephant: Dude, great job! I'm glad my crappy directions managed for aty least someone to understand, haha!
    July 9th, 2010 at 12:16am
  • losing control.

losing control. (4250)

:
    Board Moderator
    My attempt at the Gimp one.
    Kinda lame but meh, I tried. XD
    July 12th, 2010 at 04:57am
  • UsagiChaan

UsagiChaan (155)

:
    Woo hoo! I got GIMP to work with me!

July 14th, 2010 at 02:33am
  • Billie Joe Armstrong

Billie Joe Armstrong (200)

:
    BEGINNER/INTERMEDIATE BANNER TUTORIAL
    For Photoshop!

Hi, this is my first tutorial and today we're going to be making a scenic banner. =] (I'm assuming that Mibbians can add their own tuts here, but if we can't just tell me and I'll delete this post. XD)

I use Photoshop CS3 extended but this should work in any photoshop program.

From this:
    To this:

Step One: This needs to be brightened up.
    Layer-Duplicate Layer. Set to screen, 100%

Step Two: Colour Fill Layer
    Layer-New Layer (or Shift+Ctrl+N)
    Edit-Fill-Color #ffff00
    Set to Soft Light, 100%

Step Three: Selective Colour Layer.
    Red: -100,0,100,0
    Yellow: 0,0,-51,0
    Green: 100,0,100,0
    Cyans: 100,0,0,0
    Blue: 100,100,0,0
    Magenta: 0,53,0,0
    Whites: 76,0,0,-35
    Neutral: 44,30,-11,0
    Black: 0,0,0,100

Step Four: Selective Colour Layer.
    Red: -100,92,100,27
    Yellow:0,0,100,0
    Green: 100,0,100,0
    Cyan: 100,99,0,0
    Blue: 100,100,0,0
    Magenta:0,57,0,0
    White: 100,26,-17,68
    Neutral: 25,13,-4,10
    Black: 0,0,0,25

Step Five: Colour Fill Layer
    Layer-New Layer (Shift+Ctrl+N)
    Edit-Fill: Color#487502
    Set to Difference, 34%

Step 6: Texture
    Paste this texture from crazykira
    set to Lighten, 100%

Step 7: Decoration (optional)
    add some text or brushes to the image, try not to go too wild with it. Sometimes simple is best.

AND YOU'RE DONE!
    OMGYES

I made this just messing around and I thought it had a really cool effect. I've not tried it on other images though so it might come out kinda funky and might require some small edits if you apply it to something else.

I'd love to see what you guys came up with. Cute

-Ash
    July 15th, 2010 at 12:49am
  • UsagiChaan

UsagiChaan (155)

:
    That is really nice! Wow

If someone could come up with a way to do that with GIMP, I'd love them forever.
    July 15th, 2010 at 01:08am
  • cherry is gone.

cherry is gone. (100)

:

my "whack at it" for the GIMP one.
    July 17th, 2010 at 01:56am
  • lexar

lexar (100)

:

Gimp
    I tried. :/
    July 18th, 2010 at 03:47pm