Anyone who doesn't want to die, must not really be alive.

That has to be one of my favourite lines from a song ever. Ghost Mice make nice, honest folky music.

So what does that mean?

Life is an experience. Everyone always bitches about the bad. Nothing goes right for us, ever, and when it does we overlook it to find more problems underneath. They way I see it, we're just in for a ride. Of course it's going to be up and down. Of course you'll be confused. You'll spend moments reeling in elation and dizzy from highs, natural or synthetic. Of course you'll want to die.

It's all a learning experience. I take bad moments in stride, even if they leave behind little scars that are still soft spots years later. At the end of the day, I can say I survived it all.

I have a very Buddhist method of thinking. The four noble truths really ring true with me. If you're unfamiliar with them, they are basically these (paraphrased, simplified, and off the top of my head, sorry.)

1) Acknowledgement of anguish.
2) Acknowledgement of the source of anguish.
3) Acknowledgement that there is a solution to the anguish.
4) Cultivating and putting to use a solution to the anguish.

It sounds simple enough, right? Or maybe it doesn't. It actually took awhile for it to snap in place with my thinking, but now it's the first thing that comes to mind. The ability to detach yourself from the situation and look at it logically and with an unbiased view is a blessing.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. This entry has just turned into a mixture of Tralfamadorian paradigm & Buddhist philosophy, totally unlike what I wanted it to be. I don't know. I just felt like I had to write something tonight.
September 16th, 2008 at 07:17am