I'm back again, with sneak peak intro

I know I've been MIA this last month or so. I've been really busy, even to come on-line. But whenever I get the some free time, I kept it busy by writing. So far I've got 3 chapter to 'My Hilariously awkward life' down and will be posting it up soon.

Right now, I've been focusing on a new project at the moment. It's a horror/thriller/ mystery. It will be filled will magic, curses and hidden agenda. Place setting will be in Nice France, 1947, and in a carnival. This gives me Free room to move about and allow the story to go forward. Romany Gypsies will be involve. I know, I know, most of you automatically think of the series Carnivale, but I assure you, there's no war between heaven and hell here. And the characters, though lovable, but still shady are actually inspired by the people I worked with. But only magnified and names changed. I try to capture the feel of the carnival lifestyle as much as possible without loosing sight to the characters involve. Alot of research has gone into this, as I decided I shouldn't just wing a story out of experience alone. I really Hope you enjoy the introduction. Both Intro and Chapter 1 will be up soon, along with more chapters to 'My Hilariously Awkward life'.

Intro to Midnight Gate:

'As I walked through the Midnight Gate,
I know that I have sealed my fate.
In the dusk of Twilight,
I feel my soul take it's flight. '

-Unknown

Most people say that Carnival and it's life began in the 1930's, a mobile home for freaks and outcast. Where the demon children and the cursed reside, I beg the differ. Carnival and it's lifestyle was perfected in the 1930's but it's tradition was way older then that. Some say their tradition and habits came from the Roma Gypsies, Some say from Egypt or Israel; most say all three, due to the accent and the exotic, mystique of an aura it has surrounding it. 1st rule in the Carnival lifestyle is:- Always watch out for your own, right or wrong. The carnival serves as a shelter, and a second home, most of the rules are shady and can be bended either ways, but bottom line is, it's your family and you don't mess with family. 2nd rule of the Carnival:-, don't provoke or mess with another circuit's business. Competition is acceptable (although not always played fair), but there's always a clear line and one does not cross it. Dire consequences will follow if the rules are broken. The laws of the carnival are often frowned upon by the laws of the court and the real world, as well as the laws of the church. And even the ones who claims an honest day work in the carnival, have a shade of Grey in their business, underlined by the fact:- 'I did what I have to, do to survive'-. Alot of the old laws have died out, and much have turned modern with time, but the first two rules, as well as tradition never got lost, nor died out. It has been passed down from father to son, from master to apprentice...

There are many barriers that both, Carnival and it's lifestyle , have overcome, and probably more to overcome. They have survived accusations from churches and the law, they have been shunned and feared, but now embraced...although not fully. The children kept it all alive and any 'carny' knows, that the true key to survival, is when the lights are turned on, and the music starts playing; put on your mask, put on the best show and lure the kids...giving them the time of their lives. All petty worries and feuds put aside and settled at the end of the night. There is one barrier, that any Carnival circuit haven't quite overcome, any probably never will. It's the barrier of trust. Parents trust a carny but to an extend, as mentioned above, the circuits all have shades of Grey. From luring money out of people to pick pocketing, is all part of the 'lifestyle'. That extend of trust, also revolves around the 'family members' or the crews. They trust each other to an extend, but never with their personal valuables, or secrets. Everybody have something to hide, and hide it well, and Everybody have something to gain from the other. The family rise as whole on occasion, but in truth, it's every man for himself. Rumors, gossips, adultery, lies &betrayal are part of it all, and the only way to survive it, is keep your eyes to the ground, your hands busy and watch your back by keeping your ears open. You Never snitch to management, and if you have to, you bend around by using the urban legend rule:- I've heard talk about it...- Making very sure that when the guilty gets caught, the finger doesn't point back to you. Following rule 1, never betray your family member. If the finger do get pointed back to you, it'd take a lifetime of redemption and a whole ride through man made hell..

Those who have nightmares about carnivals and it's freaks, authors who have wrote their grotesque versions about carnivals; are not far off their mark but not quite close to hitting the nail in the head either. They simply see a small glimpse of the beast behind the mask, or heard a faint hiss behind the sweet talk and empty promises and the glass, lifeless eyes of each and every carousel; Prettied up and put on display, like beautiful porcelain dolls. The phrase :- Looks can be deceiving- has never hit home more, then the lifestyle of the Carnival. But, how far will a family go before it breaks apart ? How long does it take to be redeemed ? How long does it take for a curse to break ?

You now stand before the Midnight gates, and the music luring. The smell of fresh popped popcorn, lulls you in an euphoric state, although the warning bells in your head are ringing, will you take a step and plunge through the world of the Midnight Carnival ?

* * *
November 1st, 2008 at 02:25pm