The Good, the Bad, and the Humorous

Today was a day of really mixed emotions. I was excited to know about Obama's victory, as well as proposals 1 & 2 going through, but there was still the issues of Casey's mom and Mac's Bar. Josh came over not long after school started and said that Casey wasn't there, so I went out and bought a white board and we went over to Casey's. I gave him "Rebellion 101" and showed him a graph of our potential popularity (as Straight From the Fridge) if we did or didn't play the show today. All in all, it didn't work, and we gave up on trying to change his mom's mind/get him to go anyway.

Next we went up to the high school to see if Jordan and Meghan would be able to play in CSPULL to fill SFTF's slot (and Meghan to fill in for Kaelen who can't come home from college). They were unable to because they had so much homework, so after the principal told us to leave, we snuck in through the chior doors, and got Collin to come play with us. This was the first show he's ever played in his life, and he played in CSPULL (which he isn't even a member of) and opened for Michale Graves.

We went to Pizza Hut before the show (note: the best bites of pizza are always the ones with pineapple involved), stopped by Music Manor to get a few more chords, and then went over to Mac's Bar and started setting up. My mom came by to see us play, and so did Tall Kid! (who's male companion looks uneasily like Dan Silverman! Ahh!) Red Lipstick Death and Mr. Denton on Doomsday showed up before we played as well, and so did a couple others. We announced that we were CSPULL and we were terrible and that we had nothing to do with Straight From the Fridge's music, and then played this set:

- Jack White Forgot to Shave
- Some People Eat People... and it's a Problem
- Animal Cruelty
- Butttt Forgot to Write This Love Song
- You're Beige
- Da Story of Ma Lyfe
- My Way (cover) *encore*

The singer of Red Lipstick Death came up and played the accordian with us as well. haha. He was a fun and unusual fellow. Most people thought we sucked (because we did), but this drunk guy saw potential in us and was dead set on getting me in a Riot Grrl band. haha. He also had a drunk friend who really wanted us to check out his band, and asked us a lot of questions about Straight From the Fridge.

Mr. Denton on Doomsday played next, followed by Red Lipstick Death, both of which were quite good in their own way. Red Lipstick Death drove a hurse to the show. It was sweet. At this point a lot of people working at the bar started asking me when Michale Graves was going to get there. I told them he was suppossed to be there at 7, and when he wasn't there by 7:20 I called Roz Lynn (his booking agent) and she informed me that he had just talked to him 20 minutes before and he said he would be there in 10 minutes. Of course, that meant he should have been there already, but I figured he would be there soon. 20 minutes later he stilled hadn't showed up, so I called her back and found out that he had gone out to eat and would be there in 15 minutes. 15 minutes after that Michale Graves called me and told me he was really really sorry and that he would be there in 15 minutes. He showed up at 8:28; which was just in time to actually play. We were close to having to refund everyone's money; had he been 15 minutes later. During the time we were waiting I enjoyed talking to Josh, Collin, Brian (Mr. Denton), and Lucas Bones (Red Lipstick Death). We talked about shows and weird hostpital stories.

When Michale Graves got there Mr. Lucas Bones said to Josh "I'm going with you. I'm going to stick it to him!". and then he got out there and was like "can I help you carry anything?". haha, way to stick it to him... Then Michale Graves played an acoustic set which included some Misfits songs that sounded a bit humorous acoustic just because they were songs like "Die Monster Die", and "Dig Up Her Bones". Michale Graves gave me two free posters;

Josh: "Oh those are free?"
Michale Graves: "Not for you! For her they are."

; then he signed them, and I got him to record a video telling Kyle that "Saturday Night" isn't about masturbation (because we can't listen to the song without him saying that it is). haha. "Kyle, though songs can be interpreted many different ways, Saturday Night isn't necessarily about masturbation... so stop it!".

I made about $300 at the door by the end of the night. Really, that's a loss of $200, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need to convince Casey & Cody's mom to let them play at places. Brian from Mr. Denton on Doomsday was telling us about a lot of different places around here we could play, but we'll never be able to play any of them if we can't sway her.
November 6th, 2008 at 01:50pm