Adjusting to High School

It is strange to think about it, but I am finally in high school!
It's a relief, yet such a stressing part of my life.

My middle school did a terrible job of preparing many of the "General Ed." kids (that's just what they call the average kids) for high school. Lucky me, I was in the gifted and talented program, so I was already prepared in sixth grade. I see many of my friends receiving poor grades due to failure of turning in their work on time. The middle school would send you to Last Chance Cafe', a place where you would go during lunch to work on an assignment you did not complete so you could receive at least half credit.

I see many kids going up to teachers and arguing that they deserve another chance to turn in their work. I feel sorry for these kids, knowing that they are only hurting themselves more.

And for some reason, it seems that a lot of the marching band kids, like myself, are the most prepared in class. Perhaps from the discipline, or maybe for the dire need for punctuality. Whatever the reason, I am very glad that I am adjusting better than the majority of freshman.

I have loads of homework every night. Just this past week I have spent probably twelve hours on the computer doing research, working on news stories (for my journalism class), and editing my essay for To Kill a Mockingbird. We have a day off tomorrow, and I will spend it studying for my biology and honors history test, completing yet another English project, and writing three feature stories for journalism. Yet my lowest grade is an 88 in honors history because I have been absent and he has not yet entered my grades.

I am very happy for my quick adjustment.
And for all you freshman kids out there, I wish you luck as well!
Wish me luck for the next four years! <3
November 11th, 2008 at 06:47am