its the end where i begin;

I thought that since Christmas is done and 2009 isn't quite here, now was the time to reflect on 2008.

To be honest, this year has probably been one of the better one's. If you were to stand it beside 2007 in a line, then yeah, 2008 would beat it every single time. Even more so because this year, no one died and no one ended up in hospital and nothing overly dramatic happened. No family arguments or anything serious happening, nothing shockingly bad happening in my friendship circle. So everything was good.

I think this year I've changed, but in a good way, I hope. January to August of this year, I was just an average 16/17 year old, who'd rather bum around than even try and get a job or try at all at college. I can't help but think I fucked up those AS exams. B, C, D just doesn't seem good enough.

I changed in September. I think the AS results were a kick up the arse, and the fact that my mum told me she'd stop willingly handing over a bit of money every time I wished to go out somewhere. So I started caring, doing all my work, homework, coursework. I started contributing in my lessons. And so far, it's worked. Let's hope it carries on till I leave, eh?

I did have a job this year. For a day. At a sandwich shop. I was only supposed to be working Saturday's, and after a six hour shift, I went home and cried, I hated it so much. On Monday night when I returned home from college, I got a phone call from the big boss woman telling me I would no longer be needed, since I couldn't wash pots fast enough for them. I honestly don't know what they expected, I'm a self confessed lazy sod; maybe I should start writing that on application forms. A month later, they still have the vacancy poster up in the shop window.

As for people in 2008, all my friends stayed the same. I made new ones, what with new people popping up in old classes and taking up media studies. Honestly, I love them all, even if they do piss me off sometimes. I mean, they do put up with me when I'm in one of my annoying moods, my complaining, my bitch fits and ranting, so you've got to hand it to them.

Love? Never happened this year. I often like to think I'm liking the right boy, but they tend to wind up being dickheads and I'm back to square one. So I've kind of given up on it all and decided playing third wheel to my friends and their boyfriends might not be so bad after all, just as long I've got my headphones at hand to drown out 'give me a kiss', and 'love you' 'love you too!' I did think I was on to something with this one boy, Kristian. I think it was just a phase, although he still makes my heart skip a beat whenever our gazes meet across a crowded refrectory, right before my friend Hazel slaps me for not listening to her.

I've made a lot of memories that will be imprinted upon my mind for a long time to come. Well, until I get really old and start to really lose it, not that I'm not already losing my mind. I've had some serious ups and downs with my dad, and I think the night we were stuck in the car for a few hours on the way to Manchester to see Bullet For My Valentine fixed a lot of things. That, and a song that changed my perspective on everything. The heart to hearts with my best friend, sitting on a park bench with a bottle of White Diamond cider helped me through a few low points, and our trip to Cleethorpes will be a day to remember. The weekend I spent in Cleethorpes will also be one to remember for a long time to come, although it was hell-ish, we still had a lot of good laughs.

This year has consisted of, turning seventeen, finally growing up a little, success, failure, thirteen amazing nights of live music, fixing relationships with others, family secrets been revealed, riding rollercoasters - and I don't mean just literally the Shockwave at Drayton Manor is terrifying but gave me a very nice adrenaline rush, drinking a lot more alcohol, becoming more outspoken and not lying to please someone and generally becoming what I hope is a lot better person than I was a few short months ago.

The people of this year? My mum, my dad, my sister, my best friends and my tutors at college for not giving up on me. The days of this year? Cleethorpes, that one day sitting in the park with Melissa, cheese and chips and a bottle of cider, Drayton Manor, Pleasure Island, My great aunty and uncle's wedding aniversary party and birthday shin digs. And of course night of this year? It's a tie between Lostprophets, Bullet For My Valentine and The Mighty Boosh.

I've learned a lot. I'm admitting my faults, and trying to put them right. I'm doing what I'm supposed to, to get to where I want to be.

And 2009? Hopefully that has a lot more gigs in store for me, more friendships to be made, more success than failure I hope, and maybe some love. I just don't know where the long winding road of life is going to take me, but take each day as it comes.

Kudos to you if you got this far, by the way. :)
December 28th, 2008 at 12:05am