Rosie 1.24.09

She was a dear friend of my family's. But dammit! Cancer has taken her away from this earth. I'm almost happy for her, because I know she is happier wherever she is. Yet, my heart aches because I believe she was an angel. She was an angel walking among everyone. She could make anyone happy with just one smile and a hug. Her humor was an odd one, but one that was loved and respected. Now, she walks in eternal happiness, watching over her family and her friends. I can feel her with me as I write and I can see her when I close my eyes; she's healthy and happy and is the friend I remember her as. Her funeral was the 29th of January in the year of 2009. Rosie's body was cremated a few days ago.

Her family is really incredible. Eight of her biological brothers and sisters were born in Samoa and as for her adopted sister, I do not know where she was born. Her Samoan roots were very important to her. I know they were because there was always something in every room of their house that represented Samoa in some way. At her funeral the family that was able to make it sang songs of rest, love, and hope in their native language. I was honored to have been at the house when they were going over these songs and was able to learn a song with them. It was one of my most cherished experiences with that family.

"Rosie recently described herself as a “grandmother who loves to fish and to garden.” In fact, being a devoted grandmother to Avery and Hudson was Rosie’s greatest joy. The sadness and grief felt by Rosie’s loved ones is consoled by the knowledge that although her time on earth was much too fleeting, she lived her life deliberately, and with a heart full of love impassioned about nurturing longtime friendships."

The above segment in italics is part of her obituary. I know that everything they said was true. Avery and Hudson were her joy. Just the way she looked at Avery when he was with her. The love flowed freely from this remarkable woman, to everyone who needed it.

Rosie would have turn fifty on the fourth of February. It is sad that she just missed her birthday by a little over a week.

My dear friend, our Angel, Rosie Ah Wong Choffel,
I love you.
I miss you.
Goodbye for now..
January 30th, 2009 at 08:34am