you think you know someone's face. and then you realize you don't.

You think you know someone's face.
You see it everyday; you think about it when they're gone; you memorize every detail; you picture it when you miss them; you read it for reactions; you know what every emotion looks like; you know the nooks and crannies; you have your favorite parts, expressions, details, features; you could recognize it from any and every angle; you could see it in the dark; you know what it feels like; you are always anxious to see a smile; you anticipate seeing it again; it makes you happy, completes you.
And then they're gone-- for an hour, a day, two days, five, a month, six months, one year or many years-- it makes no difference how long.
Then they walk back in, and you fall in love all over again.
They return, and you recognize how beautiful they really are.
You see that face again and you remember how much you love it; you heart breaks when you fall for them again. You realize that they're more beautiful than you remember, than any picture in your memory will ever be.
And all this love and beauty comes rushing into and out of you and you feel like you might explode or cry or collapse or sing or sob or laugh with the weight and weightlessness of it all.
And you know that you'll never forget their beauty, and that no one else will ever be more beautiful to you.
And you know that you will always love them, forever.
And all this from a face.
February 16th, 2009 at 11:19pm