What is looove? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more. (No, but seriously.)

So I was thinking today, about how quick we are to write off "teenage love" or whatever. Unfortunately, this mini-epiphany of sorts came to me while I was listening to Love Story, and I feel like that takes away some of its credibility. Go figure.

So anyways. When a little kid tells their parents or whoever that they love them, the first reaction I usually have, I can't really speak for most people, isn't "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LOVE IS, YOU'RE JUST A KID!". But isn't it funny, how we have that kind of reaction when some 14 year old girl says that she loves her new boyfriend? I know, it's a pretty bad analogy, but if you really think about it, it's kind of puzzling.

Who's to say that said 14 year old girl's love is any less valid than the little kid's towards his parents? And I know, "love" is over-used, to say the least, but that doesn't mean that every teenie who says that they love someone is lying, or mislead. Call me an optimist, but I think teenage love is a possible thing.

I think that there are a lot of different stages of love, instead of one being more or less valid or real than the other. Just like there are different kinds of love, (love felt towards family, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc.), there are different stages. The kinds of love that the aforementioned toddler and 14-year-old are two totally different things, each of which is valid in its own right.

But yeah, that's just my opinion. And just to clear things up, I'm not saying that every teenie that claims that they're "so totally in luv" with their new boyfriend is really in love; I'm just saying that we're sometimes too quick to write it off.
June 7th, 2009 at 02:19am