Click for a recollection of one of the strangest yet most awesome days of my life (video enclosed)

Well, yesterday I went on an epic journey with my boyfriend to NYC. We were planning on going to MoMA (museum of modern art) and spending the entire day there and watching an Andy Warhol film which was showing at 1:30. However, plans went really astray...

We took the train in to Penn Station around 8 AM. Which let me tell you, was an experience in itself since the Jehovah's Witnesses attacked me with pro-life papers. They said something along the lines of "You can read this on the train, since abortion is a huge problem within the teenage community." First of all, they assumed that all teenagers have raging hormones and have no control which pissed me off. Second, they assumed that my boyfriend and I were sexually active, which we aren't! So I just sort of brushed that off (I'm hardcore pro-choice) and went on the train with my boyfriend, which was a nice ride since it wasn't crowded.

When we got off at Penn Station, we were a couple hours early for MoMA, so we decided to take the subway to the Village. He never went to the Village (which is practically the most awesome place to go to in the city) so I decided it was about time he got to experience the most awesome places in the Village. Mind you, both of us have never taken the subway without someone who knew what they were doing, so it took us approximately 30 minutes to figure out how to get a metrocard (all the machines weren't accepting bills!) and which route to take to get from uptown to greenwich village. We were recognized as tourists xD and some artsy fartsy man told us when to get off the subway because we looked clueless.

During our escapade to the village, we got lost in Washington Square Place (which is a REALLY tiny park thing) trying to get to Thompson St. Somehow we ended up on St Marks Place, which has a bunch of crazy shops that range from japanese ramen shops to punk (not hot topic) shops.

Some places we visited that are worth revisiting:
1) Obscura Antiques and oddities: I've always wanted to visit this store. It's practically a small closest containing strange findings from numerous estate sales and antique auctions. The man was so interesting that worked there and knew a small history about all the weird objects that fascinated me. There were even items made from human bones! The coolest thing there was either the random old photographs or the knife with a handle made from a deer hoof. Also, the man met the Horrors (my favorite band) and told me a lot of nice things about them
the horrors at obscura:

2) Trash and Vaudeville, Search and Destroy: these two shops are located on St Marks Place and consist of crazy and flashy punk items ranging from frighteningly large combat boots to crossbones toilet paper. Trash and Vaudeville has a larger selection and has a history of approximately thirty years...and the owner is the most awesome old punk rocker ever. They used to sell clothing to legends like the Ramones, and the shop is filled with autographed photos of many rockstars and wannabe rockstars like Avril xD. Search and Destroy despite the smaller selection has more reasonable clothes like a $5 shirt rack and is owned by really fashionable japanese punks with great tastes in music. They also had some really awesome vintage dresses which were really cheap! Both are worth going to, but I would rather spend my money at Search and Destroy.
3) Bleecker Street Records, and some other music shops that I forget the names of: Bleecker Street Records has always been a favorite of mine ever since I was a little girl. They have a fascinating selection of records and are decently priced. My boyfriend bought me the new Horrors album Primary Colours on LP and I bought him his favorite album Some Are Lakes by Land Of Talk on LP. We also went into this really crazy electro record shop, where the only guy working there was dj-ing/working the register at the same time! Crazy beats in there, I will definitely go back. Also, we went into this great music shop that I believe was called Music Loop (not sure) and they had these bizarre native american and some mediterranean instruments on the first floor. The basement had shelves of records and smelled like pot, and there were these two guys having a conversation about cultural music academies in India. We also stopped in at Rebel Rebel, which had a decent amount of British imported records, but I was out of money by then.
4) Some thrift/vintage store which I do not remember its name: This place was covered in posters of my favorite bands like The Cramps and Joy Division and had really really cheap vintage apparel. The guys that worked there were having a conversation about how they wear the same clothes for a week and then start to smell ewwww. But the dresses were cute and they had some crazy skirts so I will be going back most likely next week.
5) A street market fair: There were a bunch of tents of the beaten track so I decided to stop in and see what was going on. The vendors had all these sweet items like posters of andy warhol, audrey hepburn, jackie kennedy, and twiggy....i ended up buying these very edie sedgwick-esque earrings which were 6 dollars until i bargained them to 3 dollars :D!

When we were going to head to MoMA, this person stopped us on the way to the subway and asked if we wanted free tickets to see an independent film entitled Last International Playboy. We decided to go and it was pretty decent and it had a good sound track which included the Dresden Dolls and some band which covered the Ramones song I don't want to grow up.

By that time, we had spent roughly ten hours in the city and decided it would be best to get home before my mother started to worry. We took the subway and train back and called it a day.

So MORAL OF THE STORY: Never stick to plans and let life's exciting and vivacious randomness ensnare the monotony of your daily life!
June 18th, 2009 at 05:48pm