Today in history! June 28.

Good morning to all readers. Today is Sunday, June 28 the 179 th day of the year, which means there is 186 days left untill 2010. Alot of events took place on this day throughout history. There is way to many to talk about so I've singled out a few that I found interesting.

Were going to start our journey all the way back into medievil times, back when Charles V was elected as the new emperor in 1519. Charles V was born in Ghent on Feb.-24-1500, and died Sept.-21-1558. He was the oldest son of Phillip the Fair of Hapsburg, Lord of the netherlands, and Joanna the mad of Aragon, and castile. His grandfather was the Empeor Maxamillian 1 . When his grandfather died in 1518 The emperial Crown was up for grabs between him, and his younger brother Ferdinand. Ferdinand was the favored succesor of the crown, by his grandfather. However Charles V had great reservations about the suggestion. He convinced the seven electors that the duties, and responsibility might be to much for his younger brother. With Ferdinand out of the way he only had one more obstacle standing in his way. The French King Francis wanted the crown also, he offered large bribes to the electors, but Charles outbid him. Charles V was elected Emperor June 28 1519

Now we fast forward two hundred and fifty seven years. Were in the middle of the American Revolution War. Thomas Hickey is a private in the Continental Army. His main job, was to serve as a bodyguard to General George Washington. This responsibility meant that he was in charge of the generals " official Papers", and the cash box of the Continental Army. Thomas Hickey was arrested for passing counterfeit money. While Hickey was in the jail serving his time, he told another prisoner that he was part of a much larger group. This group of soldiers had plans to abandone the army, and side with the British once the expected invasion took place. Thomas Hickey was put on trial by the Continental Army. He was found guilt of mutiny, and sedition. He was court marshaled, and senteced to death. On June 28 1716 Thomas Hickey was hanged in front of a crowed of 20,000 onlookers.

The year is now 1894. Congress has just made Labor Day a federal holiday. Labor Day originated in 1882 as The Central Labor Union of New York City. It was intended as a day of rest for all working citizens. It is often celebrated as the last day of summer. Since 1894 all 50 states have made it a state holiday as well.

Now it's 1948 it's been 54 years since Labor Day was made a holiday. Boxer Dick Turpin (Nov. 26 1920-July 7 1990) is stepping into the ring to face the British Middleweight Champion Vince Hawkins. The fight is taking place in Villa Park, Burmingham. Both fighters are conditioned well, and prepared for the fight. The fight goes 15 rounds, and Turpin wins on points. On this day June 28 1948 Dick Turpin becomes the first black fighter to ever win a British title.

Speaking of boxing we now fast forward to 1997. The world is crowding around their television sets,to watch the Evander Holyfield - Mike Tyson fight. It is the second time these two fighters face eachother. It's the rematch of a Holyfield victory that took place Nov. 9 1996. The fight is at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas Nevada.
Both fighters come out stong, but it isn't long before Tyson starts to take a beating. In the third round the fighters come out of their corners. Thirty seconds into round three Mike Tyson stuns the world when he bites an inch of cartliage off of Evander Holyfields ear, then spits it on the floor. The fight is called to a stop, and Tyson is disqualified.

Present day, were all still alive, and breathing. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow so take time to enjoy your life today. Look at the positve in everything!!
Lando.
June 28th, 2009 at 02:18pm