Main characters, familiy lives.

So. I'm seeing a trend in a lot -- and I do mean a lot a lot -- of stories, both on Quizilla and Mibba. (For those of you who don't know me, I have accounts on both websites.) I have to admit that I've done this before, so I wouldn't appreciate being called a hypocrite, because I'm just thinking aloud. Er, I mean, in writing.

When did bitchy become the new black?

I'm not saying that every single person should act like an angel all of the time -- let's be real, people -- but I've noticed more and more lately that some of the characters in stories are downright nasty to other people. Why is being rude and offensive to others suddenly viewed as being... respectable? Well, I mean, respectable enough to be made into a character that someone's going to read about for 20-70 chapters? These girls -- because they are mostly girls -- flip people off constantly, cuss loudly in public, disrespect teachers... you name it. Um, I'm no saint, but.... I'm pretty sure that's bad.

It's harder to explain than I'd thought it would be. But what I'm trying say is that when you read a story, it's easier to get through when the character isn't, well, a bitch. Because then no one wants to read about someone that bad for the entire story -- not unless they're going through a change of some kind.

Which brings me to my next point -- I realize that not every story has a happy ending, but what is with all of these despressing, sad-ass stories? I don't know about you, but I don't want to waste time reading about some girl with drunken parents who beat her up when I can read a story that will actually make me feel good. Most families aren't perfect, but most parents don't abuse their children. If you are one of those who are abused, then I'm sorry. But why does it seem that in fiction, the parents are almost always either a) never home, b) abusive and/or drunk, or c) dead? Is it really that hard to introduce two characters as authority figures?

Nyah. I don't even really understand what I'm saying anymore. Anyway, I'm just reporting what I see. Er, I mean, read.
August 7th, 2009 at 08:37am