Her dad died

So one of my oldest friend's dad died last week.
Im still in shock over it because he was only in his mid fifties and always in good health.
It just doesn't make sense you know? Im finding it so hard to accept because I'd become so used to seeing him from the age of ten, everytime I went to hang out with Sally.
He was such a lovely man, he always had a smile and a joke for everyone, he got to know us rly well and even at times joined in with what we were doing. Such as the time he took us to the muesuem and then proceed to break a huge magnifying glass so we all had to run away quickly.
The thought of such an amazing person not being in the world is awful, we as her friends are so upset by it, even my parents cried. He had such an affect on everyone.
Which can only give an inkling how intense her grief is.
He was her bestfriend, as she was much closer to him then her mother. He was the one who pushed her into higher education, because he wanted the best for his daughter. He wanted her to get the chance at uni he never got, any extra money he earned he put it towards his daughter, be it to take her on holiday or for her university fees.
He's the one who gave her strength and confidence to become the person she is today.
She's been through so much crap the past few years, first her grandfather died and then her uncle, then her dog, and now her dad. Everyone that she was close to has basically slipped out of her hands over the past few years, and I cant help but cry for how unfair it is.
She was a kid who never knew jealousy, malice, hate, envy or conflict. Some could say she was incredibly naive, thought she toughened up by being head girl this year, but even then the stress of being head girl, her exams, and the fact her parents were divorcing rly took its toll on her, and she looked forward to this summer more then anyone else.
Tomrow she was meant to go on holiday with her father.
& now she's regretting having been away so much during the summer, cos she lost vital time with her dad. Time no one can get back.
I know death is always unfair, and we all wish it woudln't happen, but when I see her case my heart cries even more.
The problem is she's asked for everyone to just treat her like normal, cos her way of dealing is to bottle it up. But I think this time if she bottles it up she'l do herself more damage then good.
& for the first time in my life I have no idea whats the right thing to do to help her, because my way of dealing with death is to refuse to accept someone has died and just to think they're on a long holiday.
Does anyone have any thoughts upon the subject? Itd be much appreciated.
August 17th, 2009 at 10:29am