I don't ever want to come down from this high

I will forever remember August 25, 2009 as one of the greatest nights of my life.
It was the night I saw Green Day in concert for the first time.
When they took the stage, reality sunk in. It was really happening, right before my eyes. This wasn't a youtube video, this wasn't Bullet in a Bible--it was Green Day, live, a hundred feet away from me. To see them, hear them, be in the same room as them was nothing short of surreal. Even now I feel as if it was simply an incredibly realistic dream; but it wasn't.
They played for three straight hours, and oh, what a phenomenal three hours they were. They went from 21st Century Breakdown hits to American Idiot favorites to old classics like Longview and Brain Stew. They even did 2000 Light Years Away and Disappearing Boy.
Even if their performance had been stripped of the glitz and glamor of fireworks, pyrotechnics, and coordinated lighting, it still would have been an absolutely explosive and unforgettable performance.
As is Billie's custom, several audience members were invited to the stage to play/sing a song and/or stage dive. I wasn't fortunate enough to be in the pit, so there wasn't even a chance that one of those people could have been me, but I'll never stop hoping that my time will come.
I didn't think it was possible, but I love this band even more now.
August 27th, 2009 at 11:32pm