Ambitions and epiphanies.

I've decided that, at some place in the future, I will acquire a minor degree in photojournalism, travel to the Middle East and Africa and other such countries and take pictures of what is going on there. Of course, since this is all relatively far in the future, for now, I have decided to become an undercover do-gooder. Like in Amélie. Problem is, I don't exactly know how to go about doing this. So I am extremely open to suggestions as of now.

The breakdown of the epiphany. I was watching Persepolis last week, and a couple of lines from the movie really struck me. The gist of it was, this one stereotypical punk-nihilist guy was complaining about how pointless life was, when the heroine butt in and said something along the lines of, "How can you say life is pointless? My uncle and countless others [were imprisoned and] died [at the hands of the fundamentalists in the Islamic Revolution]. You're an asshole." *storms out of room*

Which took my wrist and yanked me to an unflattering truth. [Insert long rant on how embarrassingly conceited and self-indulgent I've been and still am.] Which in turn led me to reconsider minoring in Photojournalism in college. Which led to the do-good-ing idea, which came from another movie, Amélie. Which probably means, I should watch more movies, because they'll very likely change my life. Or at least, my mindset.

Basically, I want to do something for something bigger than myself. You know?

On a sort-of sidenote, I briefly considered signing up for the Peace Corps after high school, but nixed the idea due to previous plans involving touring around the US and Europe to satisfy my own lovely, self-indulgent, wanderlust-y desires.
September 17th, 2009 at 05:32am