Tourette Syndrome

A couple of years ago my younger brother was diagnosed with Tourettes syndrome. For everyone life went on as normal but for my brother everything changed. Tourettes hindered his ability to play sports along with his learning ability. His tics (not the blood sucking kind. Tics are an uncontrollable movement, sound, habit. Just so people know the thing about yelling cuss words is not tourettes it is a disorder often linked to tourettes called coprolalia). My brother really loved baseball. But he developed a tic that caused him to blink rapidly all the time. This made him unable to focus on the ball which prevented him from being able to play as well as the other kids. In school it also stopped his learning. It used to worry me. Along with tourettes he has ADD so he can't pay attention very well. At first kids made fun of him. It didn't help that he had gotten it after we had moved to another state. At one point he told my mom he wanted to be homeschooled. We all convinced him to continue going to public school. I am so proud of my brother. He has powered through Tourettes. He has a lot of friends and enjoys going to school. Once kids know what he has they accept him. Along the way he has developed a talent. My brother, Austin, is amazing at art. He surprises me everyday. There have been some problems all along the road. People with tourettes tend to get OCD. My brother does. I often worry about him but he is doing great.

I hope this informs some people who don't know about it. There are two movies I have watched about torrettes. One is I Have Tourettes But Tourettes Doesn't Have Me and another is called Front of the Class(It's a true story)
November 30th, 2009 at 07:20pm