Exposition on being alone.

People spend a lot of time trying to avoid being alone, to the extent that, really, everything in existence presently is aimed at you not being alone.

In one certain one, I've been alone for my entire life...I've always have loving family, and good friends, but the other notable section of the "social triangle" has been entirely absent - the girlfriend part.

I've never had a girlfriend with whom I feel I could share everything. I had a girlfriend of sorts once, but thinking back on it, we really were just close friends...we didn't have boyfriend/girlfriend conversations, didn't do boyfriend/girlfriend things together, etcetera.

Sorry, I digress. Most people, when told the story of a seventeen year old boy who had tried for his entire life to get something, tried for a year and a half to get one specific girl, only to be foiled by his own inaction: well, most people would think that it's kind of a sad story. I mean, someone tries hard for their entire life to get something that everyone else is able to get, but they can't because of themselves? Because of their own tendency to overthink things? Sad, right?

Wrong.

I don't think it's sad, for one simple reason - I don't think being alone is a sad thing.

Being alone is just a state of being, like being together with someone else.

Every day, whilst at school (specifically at lunchtime) I walk around my school. For fifty minutes, I see happy couples kissing, hugging, walking, talking, holding hands, and so forth. I see groups of friends laughing, joking around, playing, and I see one more group. Sullen-looking, seemingly self-absorbed singles, some walking like me, some sitting in sadness.

Why?

Who decided that being alone should be sad?

I'm not sad when I'm alone, I'm sad if I'm sad. Who I'm with - or without, as the case may be - has nothing to do with my level of happiness.

If history, extrapolation, and current events are anything from which to base predictions, I'm unlikely to get a girlfriend anytime soon, and so in one certain way, I will remain alone.

Oh, well.

If you're alone, as I am, it's unlikely you've been so for quite as long. I mean, everyone has dry spells, but not for seventeen years they don't. Regardless, for anyone who's alone and sad about it, I have one piece of advice. It's going to sound heartless and harsh, but keep in mind I'm telling it to myself as well. If it seems too harsh for you, sorry, but that's your problem and not mine. So, if you're sad, there's one think I want to tell you.

Oh well, get over it, and move on.

Note: To anyone who reads this, and thinks "Aw, that's so sad," read it again. (cynicism alert) Clearly you were not paying attention the first time, so try once more.
Do no pity me. I do not want or accept your pity.
February 22nd, 2010 at 09:07am