Touchy subject.

A girl from Massachusetts recently committed suicide, mainly due to some kids at her school that were bullying her online and offline.

These kinds of stories are so sad. A group of kids - young teenagers - actually made someone feel so worthless, so horrible, that they went and ended their own life. Pheobe Prince was so excited about her school's upcoming dance. She had red shoes that she liked because they reminded her of Dorothy's ruby slippers.

She had everything going for her. She had a future. And those kids took it away from her. They had no right to do that. And, even on her facebook memorial page, they're continuing it - spamming it with horrible comments and insults.

At this point, they weren't just hurting her anymore. They were hurting everyone that Pheobe ever knew. They took someone's life. Pheobe hung herself and was found by her twelve year old sister. Can you imagine, a twelve year old little girl coming home and finding her dead older sister hanging from a rope?

All because of bullying.

I can't say I knew how she felt, but I've been through some horrible, horrible bullying.
It's been an issue all my life, but seventh grade was just... horrible. Getting slammed into lockers, getting things thrown at you, getting screamed at and insulted until you cry, right in the middle of class, and having it completely overlooked by teachers. For no apparent reason other than "You're ugly!". It does things to you after two years. It's a much, much bigger deal than people realize. It won't mean anything to the person do it, but it can really, really fuck the victim up.

And I'm still not over it. The physical scars will probably fade, but the emotional ones won't. And I doubt any of those people even remember me. I've tried so hard to block that year out of my memory, but now I've realized that's probably not the best thing to do, either.

I know now, that I'm much better than those people, that they're the ones that'll never get anywhere in life, that just aren't worth it... but it still hurts.

But this girl actually took her own life. It's just the most horrible thing to thnk about. And until the school system stops being so passive about it, it's going to continue.

Google 'Pheobe Prince' and you're sure to find an article on this.
March 31st, 2010 at 09:22am