So, What's the Stigma on Catholics?

This just came to thought after reading a journal in where this girl described how her friend has over protective parents and then in parenthesis said (they're also really Catholic).

Just to state, I'm a Catholic. All my family is Catholic. And I've been going to Catholic School since Kindergarten. So, I don't really know how the rest of the world views this religious group.

Although I seem to get the perception that people think they are a very strict, up tight, Bible-hugging, homosexual hating, obsessive religion that can't seem to shut up about abortion and stem cell research and who follows this thing called a pope that wears a weird hat on his head.

Which, I mean, I don't really take offense at because...well, I guess I just don't because I know what is and isn't true about the statement above. And I think I can see some aspects of the religion which would make people think of us in that way. But what part of the religion specifically? What are the basic stereo-types on Catholics? And are the ones I stated above generally true? And why, out of all the different types of Christian religions, are they kind of singled out?

I'm just really curious.

(Side Note: I have strict and overprotective parents, but I don't think that was influenced by them being Catholic. I think it's more of a culture difference.)

Please be informative, but not insulting. Tell me why without being accusatory. If you don't bash my religion, I won't bash yours or your lack of one.

And, feel free to ask questions if you have any =]
June 24th, 2010 at 08:47pm