Comic

Comics were always thought to be just a fun book to read during hard times, such as war. Many people read them to escape from reality, to see a clear view between right and wrong, good an evil. Superheroes with unnatural powers that always saved the day and gave those people who read them hope. Though everyone knew the things they could were impossible, they still read on. But is there truth behind such tales? Could powers such as flying, super strength, mind reading actually work in our reality? There may be science and possibility behind the comic powers
Take your favorite superhero, and pull them a part. Take away what makes them “super” and look at the human below. What’s their story? Look at how this person came to be and who they are. Underneath all the things that make them great, you’ll find something that relates to their powers. Any man can run a mile within minutes; countless records of this have been recorded. Yet these men have trained any chance they could. They didn’t wake up with this ability. They trained and trained, pushing themselves harder each time. Many of the heroes we know do the same thing; making sure they know their strengths and weaknesses.
In our own world we have found people who have “superhuman abilities”. Things such as superhuman athletic abilities, hysterical strength, and mental/psychological feats have all been recorded in our life time. If it’s proof of super humans or luck and genes it doesn’t matter. Reports have been relished that normal people can do abnormal things.
A majority of the comic heroes have been exposed to a type of radiation, causing their DNA to change completely. Our “friendly neighborhood” Spiderman who was bitten by a genetically altered spider and his DNA fused with that of the spiders. This gave him what we call “spider senses”, the abilities include heighten reflexes, being able to scale up walls, as well as strength. He was not however able to shoot webs no matter what the movies had said.
First off, DNA does not and cannot just “fuse” with nonhuman DNA. Everyday humans ingest plants and animals DNA and still remain the same. Dr. Raza Zaidi said that “in order for acquiring characteristics imparted by a foreign DNA, each and every one of the trillions of cells in the human body must have that DNA incorporated in it.” Because Spiderman wasn’t really part spider, that doesn’t mean he didn’t have any other of the “senses” he was said to.
If humans were born with such genes, our dreams of comic book heroes could become a reality. Yet sadly, there’s no way to change our life as it is now. We can get strength and speed by training, but nothing more than that can happen. Our simple lives are just that, most would like something more, others have to live each day wishing to fly.
July 16th, 2010 at 07:10pm