"Preps" ?

As I browsed the mind-boggling gossips and accusations Facebook seems to hoard, I came across some comments by certain people on a certain topic I find quite ridiculous.

"Preps ruin everything, they need to stay out of my life and out of my music!" One Facebooker commented. I had to do a double take, because I couldn't fathom how someone could say that.

Social cliques just happen sometimes, I get that. But isn't it just ridiculous when someone completely shuts out anyone because of how they dress, what music they listen to, etc.?

These so called "Emo" or "Scene" kids say it's for their cause, and they don't want to be "judged". But in all honesty, aren't they being the judgmental ones by grouping people together and automatically hating them?

"Yeah, that's why I didn't go to Warped Tour this year, all those preps would get in the way of my fun!"

People need to learn how to broaden their horizons. It's not like these "preps" were going to go up to them, mug them, then spit on their faces. People should be able to listen to whatever music they want, and go to whatever concert they feel like going to. How you look, dress, or do your hair shouldn't justify what genre of music you listen to!

Maybe if someone intentionally labels you, then goes ahead and listens to the music they make fun of you for, you can say those kinds of things. But not when someone you don't even know is enjoying whatever they please.

Music is music, there are things people like and dislike- it's natural. When someone openly disses the music you like, to your face, then get involved.
But not when they're happily listening to whatever they please, I just find that wrong.
July 31st, 2010 at 11:10pm