Crazy Ending to my Story

The sun is going down over the houses, disappearing. It reminds me of the times as a little kid, I would watch it go down and cry. I never knew if it would come back again, and was scared at the thought of living without my sun. So I would cry, unless it was a full moon. Because that, I decided, would be enough if I couldn't have the sun.

It took me a while to understand everything, that the sun never really leaves, and the moon doesn't really glow.

But we can glow. Like our blushes that rise up from our necks to our ears and cheeks, warming us up immediately, whether we personally think it's good or not. But maybe that isn't the point- our thoughts, I mean. What we think about it.

I'm blushing right now, but I don't mind. Garrett's silently entwined our fingers together, walking down the street. He found me at Smithy's, painting her wall as she cooked dinner. She fed us in a cheerful mood, and we finally left because I'd left Gabriel with the boys- Johnny, Shane, Pat, and Kennedy- most of the day.

We're walking slowly towards my house, slowly so we won't get there too soon. Because it's nice, just walking with him. I let out a little sigh when the last of the sun disappears, and I lean instinctively into Garrett. We shift as we unlock our fingers for him to wrap his arm around my waist, and his other hand grabs my hand up again.

I smile, and look up at him. "Garebear's very comfortable."

"Maddie's very cute," he smiles back, and I blush madly, ducking my head down into his shoulder. He chuckles, squeezing my hand softly.

My thoughts go back to last night. Garrett took me out to a little diner where they had dancing in a corner with the jukebox. Tory had helped me dress in a halter dress and flats that I took off every time I sat down, because they're easy to slip off and barefeet are very good. We'd eaten, talked a little, and watched the people around us, something we both liked to do.

When I was done eating, I convinced him to take off his own shoes, and join me on the dance floor. I didn't know how to dance, but his mom had taught him a few things, so he grudgingly taught me. I stepped on his feet several times in my excitement. Even though I tried furiously to apologize, stumbling over my words, he laughed it off and just twirled me in his arms.

At the memories, I laugh a little and look up at him, as he gives me a strange look. "What are you thinking about?" He asks me.

"Dancing," I sing, escaping his grasp to twirl on the sidewalk.

"Hey, now," he smiles, eyes on me, grabbing my hand before I fall onto someone's yard. He chuckles, keeping me in line as I twirl around, and land in his arms. "How's that for dancing?" He smirks.

I grin sheepishly, feeling slightly abashed for almost falling. "P-perfect."

Garrett's eyes scan my face, and I can't help but wonder what he's looking for, through my smile and the freckles and the light colored eyes I wear constantly. But his smile only widens as he carefully pulls me closer. My eyes instinctively close as my heart thumps and I wonder madly it's only me, and praying it's not, just remembering him holding me in his arms- and his lips land delicately on mine.

I think my heart is about to jump out of my chest. But it reminds me of the other times I have thought it would, and it hasn't, so maybe it won't happen this time either. My arms loop around his neck, bringing me closer. I feel like I'm on fire just touching him right now- but a good fire, a good flame, that doesn't actually hurt me.

The moment ends too soon.

"Your brother said he doesn't want to see us making out," he whispers huskily, grinning before kissing me softly on the lower jaw, near my ear. I shiver, my eyes opening wide to greet his.

"But... outside?"

"We're at your house," Garrett says, helping me stand right up on my own too feet. I look around to see that he's right, that we somehow arrived at my house some moments ago. But I don't remember it. Glancing the way we came, I realize it's not as long as I'd hoped.

He laughs as I pout at him. "In, you come in," I correct myself, because I always get tangled in my words around him. My hands shake a little as I put them on his chest. "Please?"

"But your family, it's late..." he hesitates.

But he's almost all mine. I smile widely, wrapping my arms around his neck firmly, our noses almost touching. I widen my eyes and dip my hands into his soft hair and whine softly. "Pleeeeease?"

"What would we do?" He tries to think of something.

"Garebear," I pout and shrug a little, stepping even closer so there's not even air between us. I bounce on my toes a little, so I look a little taller and I like this game. It's a fun little game and I know I'm winning. I fix my pout and refuse to take my eyes off of him.

"Maddie, you're cr-" but he stops himself, biting off the last word. "Just... too..." he fights for something to say.

I feel a shiver run down my spine, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I pause a moment, waiting for the shaking to grow worse, for the lead fear to enlarge in my heart and scare me, scare me like it used to. I wait, but nothing happens. Only a little shiver, and it wasn't a bad one.

Suddenly, I laugh, and it catches him by surprise.

"Crazy," I nod slowly. "But good. For you," I add bashfully, a blush rising quickly on my cheeks. This isn't a bad blush, either. No more bad blushing, embarassed for my words or thoughts or anything. Just good, happy ones. It makes me smile and I just have to kiss him to express the happy feeling in my heart.

Garrett Nickelsen smiles widely, his arms finally wrapping around me. "Well I'm even more crazy for you," his voice is deeper, more raspy, the close we are. My joy only widens as I hear the front door open, and I hear my baby laughing. Then Garrett picks me up in his arms, twirling me around. I can't help but laugh and he carries me inside to friends and family.

I can close my eyes now, and I'm not afraid to open them. I can breathe in and out, and the anxiety problems are going away more and more every day. I go shopping with Tory and mom for myself and Gabriel, and I can actually have fun. John's endearing, opening to jokes more every day and still close to me, along with my brothers. His friends- everyone- are amazing people who are beginning to teach me things I missed out on, like swimming and other games. And Garrett... he puts in the last neccesary piece of this puzzle. Because he has my heart, and he'll always have it.
August 13th, 2010 at 07:08pm