NHL All-Star Game 2011 Report

All Star’s in Raleigh

By Patrick Kirk
Cleveland Chronicle Staff

Raleigh – Whoever would have thought that Raleigh would get a chance to host a professional All-Star Game? The Carolina Hurricanes and the City of Raleigh are hosting NHL All-Star Weekend January 28th- 30th 2011. The Carolina Hurricanes announced at a public carnival on April 8th 2010 that the City of Raleigh was chosen to host the NHL All-Star Game 2011.

The All-Star game is comprised of 3 Events. A Skills competition, where players test their skills in skating, accuracy, and many others, A Young Stars Game, where the rookies show their stuff, and The Main Event, which is held on Sunday. The All-Star Game, a classic East vs. West showdown where fans vote for the starting lineup of both teams.

The first NHL All-Star Game was held in 1947 in Toronto. The All-Star game consists of 30 Teams, 15 East, and 15 West. But at one time it was North America vs. The World. This is the second time the Hurricanes have hosted the All-Star Game, but in 1986 the “Hurricanes” were known as the Hartford Whalers and the City of Hartford, CT Hosted the Game. This is a big event for Raleigh and the surrounding area, this game is televised in 175 different countries.

Adam Gold of 99.9 The Fan said, “There will clearly be an economic impact on the Triangle with anywhere from 10,000-15,000 people visiting, staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, etc. What the hockey impact will be is yet to be determined.” 175-200 Different media outlets will be in the area covering the game.

As of September 2nd Only Carolina Hurricanes Season Ticket holders are being offered the chance to buy tickets to the game. The General Public has not yet received the opportunity to purchase tickets. “The league holds back a lot of tickets for sponsors and the whole of the NHL, but Hurricanes season ticket holders should be able to purchase and beyond that I would guess that the general public will ultimately find tickets available. How many is another question.” The RBC Center holds 18,176 fans. Ticket prices for Season Ticket holder go as follows:
Lower Level: $260
Upper Level: $200
These prices are for both days.

Theron Fellows, a Hurricanes fan and CHS Student said, “I HAVE to go to the game!”

“I’m not much of an All-Star Game Guy” Says Adam Gold. “The actual game doesn't really resemble the sport other than the ice, skates and puck. But, the skills competitions and the player interaction with other players is enjoyable.” It all comes down to one thing, East vs. West. Who will win this year?
September 4th, 2010 at 05:44am