Mommy, what's a pedophile? (Day 2 : 30 Days of Prompts)

Day 2 of 30 Days of Prompts The time you have embarrassed your parents.

So, let's imagine a kitchen full of women, all drinking tea and discussing the bright futures of their 5 year old kids. Apparently lots of them were worried that the school's plan of teaching the kids to read and write in less than 4 months was too hard for them, after all they still were having difficulty reading words like "refrigerator"
Now, picture one of the 5 year old kids, a girl, entering said kitchen with a newspaper that looked big enough to cover her completely, standing next to one of the women and asking..

"Mommy, what's a pedophile?"

That's when mommy almost spits the tea while everyone stays quiet. She snatches the newspaper out of the girl's hands and reads the article, sighs and just assures the girl that a pedophile is a bad person and that they'll discuss everything later, and that she's not to read the newspaper without permission. The girl nods, thinking she has done something wrong, but still, just before leaving the kitchen she decides to ask, "... and a gynecologist, is that also a word for a bad person?"

I believe that's the very first time I embarrassed my mother... I really don't quite remember it, but hey! she's the one that almost spat the tea on one of her friend's faces, so the recounting of this story comes from her. Well, now we all agree it wasn't particularly embarrassing for her but for all her friends that were fretting about "refrigerator" being too difficult for their kids while I entertained myself reading the crime section of the newspaper.

Fun times... that's when she decided that I needed swimming lessons to keep me occupied. ^^
September 7th, 2010 at 02:50am