If I could Relive one day....

To relive a day…

If there was any day that I would want to relive, it would be the last time I ever talked to my Nanny.

It was at the hospital, and we were just leaving. I was the last one out, and as I was closing the door, I looked back and smiled one last time before I turned to leave. As I’m closing the door, I heard her say “Shayne, just a second.”

Looking at her, I say “Yes, Nanny?”

“When I get out of the hospital this weekend, will you come stay with me, help me out.” That sentence in and of itself was amazing, my grandmother never asked for help, she was too stubborn and independent for that.

“Of course. Even if you get out in the middle of the week, let me know and I’ll be there. I’d
love to come help.” I never missed a chance to go stay with her, to spend time with her.

From where she sat on her bed, propped up by pillows, she smiled, and looking back I wonder, if it wasn’t a little sadly, and said, “I will, Shaney. I will. I love you .”

“ I love you too, Nanny. I’ll see you this weekend.”

Those were the last words I ever heard or said to her, and I wish I could just hear it one more time, see her just one more time. Just to know that the memory hasn’t been tarnished over time.

If you could relive one day what would it be? What would you want out of that day?
October 8th, 2010 at 12:52am