RiMo story [advice definitely needed]

Okay, so I've been thinking (and browsing mibba - instead of writing my RiMo story, which I should be doing)
and I came across one of Florence's journals
(ya know, the one that gives good advice on getting readers?)
And, I think I've been lacking on two of those points.
Heck, I normally wouldn't worry, but there good points, and yeah...

------

My layout skills can just go die.
I haven't even tried them, because I'm just so terrible at them.
And though I've gotten the offer to have a layout made for me (twice)?
I just don't know.
I'm not good at thinking up layouts - along with sucking at making them.
In otherwords, I don't know what I'd want as a layout for my stories - and for now, it's just the premades or the default (premades chosen pretty much at random)
So what do I do?

-------

(Yes, this has to do with my rimo story a little more than the last one did)
The first chapter of a story should grip you, right?
It should pull you forward - and make you want to read it.
But the first chapter of my rimo is just, ick.
I guess I have a good reason for it - it's supposed to be boring and slow-going, but still.
It's pretty obvious that my non-existing layout skills and the sucky beginning to my rimo story will make it definitely unloved.
And I want some love for this story - as sellfish as it sounds - ya know?

Don't get me wrong, I love coming up with things, but it's with words, not with images.

-------

I'm at this point in my story where my character is moving.
It's boring, of course, and it just sucks because I know what I want to write after this - I've got an awesome-ish plot and subplots, I've got everything mapped out, but I'm getting sick of describing her plane ride, her unpacking - it's boring, and I know a reader would be bored by it, as well.
I'm thinking of skipping over it and coming back to it - writing about this later, but at the same time, I don't want to.

Okay, done whining.

Questions:
1. Are you doing RiMo? what's your word count if so?
2. What do you think about your layout skills?
3. Tell Ella about your Sunday, yes?
4. What do you think about that pure honey stuff?
Personally, I hate it. It's too sweet.
5. Should I skip ahead in my story?

-Ells
November 7th, 2010 at 09:45pm