Muse- Questions and confusion.

***When ever I get a question where someone is lost or confused about something too long/complicated to adress in the authors comments I'll answer the concern here and link it at the bottom of the next chapter. Don't be afraid to ask your questions, I'm more than happy to answer them***

It would seem people are rather fond of the story so far but I'm more than aware that its... skittish. This is a deliberate style I've chosen and I know it can make things a little harder to follow than your average piece of fanfiction.

Firstly, I haven't chosen this style for the sole purpose of mind fucking with you all. Its my watered down, simplified version of Chuck Palahniuk's writing. This is relevant for 2 reasons.

a) He's an amazing writer and to add to the relevance his books are constantly referenced through out the first Panic! at the Disco album. I rationalized my style of writing by telling myself that should Brendon Urie actually write a book, particularly fiction, it would come out with definite Palahniuk influences.

b) Chuck Palahnuik says his style is suppose to be a more accurate replica of human thought/speech. I agree whole heartedly. When we think, or talk, the words don't come out perfect like a practiced speech. We back track, clarify, repeat and correct ourselves regularly. Writing this way, I think, better represents the feelings behind the thought or speech of the protagonist (Brendon).

____________________________

What's with all the Sarahs?

I chose the name Sarah because it is the name of Brendon's current real life girlfriend. I decided that this would make it a touch more relevant to now.

There are 3 Sarahs in the story. I try to allude to or specifically single out each one when she's being talked about but it can obviously become hard to follow when all 3 are featured in the one chapter.

Sarah 1 (ex-Sarah)- This Sarah is the only one to date (Chp. 19) with dialogue (bar dream sequences). Brendon usually refers to her as ex-Sarah when mentioning her in conversation. He doesn't hold her with the highest regard, when there is any negative talk/thought about a Sarah on his part he's almost always referring to this Sarah.

Sarah 2 (dream Sarah/ghost sarah/muse)- By far the most important Sarah and the one Brendon admires most. Rarely will he talk about her in a negative context except perhaps in frustration. To date (Chp. 19) he and Quinn are the only one's who know about her and so she is never mentioned by characters beyond these two.

Sarah 3 (Dead Sarah)- This Sarah is more relevant to Sam and Quinn as she is their dead friend. She killed her self via suicide a year prior to the events in this story. Brendon does believe/suspect that prior to her death she was "haunting" him. Quinn does not speak highly of her dead friend (its unclear why at present) and is deciedly unfazed by her passing. Sam comes off as considerably more hurt by the death but resentful of the act of suicide. Sam also wears a locket (first mentioned in Chp. 13) with their names (Sarah & Sam) engraved on the back.

______________________________

Is Sarah (ex-Sarah) dead? A question asked after the first instance of all 3 Sarah being mentioned in one chapter

No, ex-Sarah is not dead. Nor will she ever die in this story (I'm willing to reveal that much). When ever "dead Sarah" is mentioned I am referring to Sam/Quinn's dead friend who's name was also Sarah.
Ex-Sarah is not dead in his mind either and even if she was I would never have him say it in that way because a sea of confusion would just roll over my readers and they may just all go brain dead.

______________________________

Who wrote the book/s? Quinn or Sam?

Quinn writes the books but Sam is the official "face" of them. Sam attends events, launches and signings as Quinn.
An easier solution would have, of coure, been to simply write using Sam's name to avoid confusion. However there is a reason behind this complicated/messy deception.
December 6th, 2010 at 09:03am