Hurry up, 2012!

It's only (not even, actually) a week into 2011 and I had to go to the emergency room last night. My chest felt like one of those balloons that no matter how much air you try to blow into it, it will NOT inflate. I was wheezing and coughing, I thought for sure I had pneumonia. One problem: I don't have insurance. It's 11pm, all the walk in clinics are closed at 9:30 . I'm left with two options: Try to sleep without suffocating or go to the emergency room and owe money for the rest of my life.

I tried to talk myself out of thinking it was serious. I called my mom and asked her to come get me, so that I wouldn't have to be home alone, in case something tragic did happen. I could barely talk, so my fear was that, I'd not be able to breath and not be able to call 911. My mother was, needless to say, a bit concerned. She's, also, very poor and in no condition, financially, to help me with a medical bill, but it was getting to a point where we were scared to even let me fall asleep, because of how troubled my breathing was.

On her way to pick me up (she lives in a neighboring city, 20 min away) she started praying for the wisdom to know what to do, asking God to tell me if I should go to the ER or not. Then, as she passed a truck canopy and hitch lot, the scrolling digital sign said, 'God Will Provide'. She told me all this when she arrived at my house. I was impressed. I was convinced that God wanted me to go to the hospital, considering my biggest concern (my only concern) was money.

Thank God I went. Come to find out, I have Bronchitis. I'm now on steroids and am using an inhaler, so I can breathe more comfortably. Even after only using my inhaler twice and taking one dose of steroids, I'm already feeling 10 times better!

I'm a hypochondriac and it's funny, because, everyday, I'll find something to worry about: My eye is twitching, I think I'm having a stroke. I get a little pain in my shoulder, I think I'm having a heart attack. (I actually have this thing I do, where I check my pulse ALL the time.) But, this time, when I genuinely did know that I was sick, I did all in my power to not go to the doctor, because I couldn't pay for it. It's ironic, really. But, I'm in a housing program for homeless youth, I'm in school and I don't have a job. What am I supposed to do in this sort of situation? Tough it out?

The only reason I bring this up, is because my family is full of die hard Republicans. Fox watching, Glenn Beck loving, Obama hating, Republicans. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate hearing about, on a constant basis, how 'scary' and how 'selfish' free health care is. I'm tired of hearing how Obama is a Socialist because he wants to charge people less to nothing for medical attention. I hate the fact that my family supports and ENCOURAGES me to get health care through the state (through DSHS), to go through gov housing (for homeless/at risk youth) and last but not least, how I should send in paperwork to get my visit (to the hospital) paid for, by the hospital/gov. Seems to me their a lot more liberal than they think they are C: lol.

All I know is, our president is running things so that I wont have to be scared crap-less to go to the ER, when I can't breath, just because I'm poor. I don't see the crime in what he's doing. So, long story short, 2012 is only a year away C: Free health care will be put into motion, and (hopefully) Obama will run for office again, at which point, I will be re-electing him.
January 5th, 2011 at 11:37pm