Donating blood?

Yesterday night I was looking up on things about blood donation and just getting some more information about the whole thing and I saw something that really made me mad. It couldn’t be possible that gays aren’t allowed to give blood because of the fear of AIDS and HIV right? Well I googled it and spend like an hour doing this and it is true, and it just made me so mad. That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and too me it’s just like we are taking away everything they would like to do. I’m not sure if they still can’t marry but there is a list of so many things that they can’t do because of their sexuality that is just so dumb. I know that we recently passed to repeal don’t ask don’t tell in the military which is a step forward for them and I’m glad people agreed with it enough to pass the repeal.

I just don’t think it’s fair that people can say and limit what they can do when they are people just like us. Blood is blood and if you’re going to test if for HIV and AIDS anyways why not just let them donate too. And if they are scared of the people rejecting the blood because they dislike the homosexuals isn’t the whole process anonymous anyways so it’s not like they are going to know anyways. I still have so many questions that I would love to have answered about this and why they can’t donate blood. I completely understand the fear of AIDS and HIV but even straight people have the same chance of getting that and we are still allowed to donate.

After doing all this research on why they aren’t allowed to donate blood it made me wonder if it was just the men that couldn’t donate. Can the woman donate their blood even if they aren’t straight? And what about the bisexuals are they not allowed to donate blood either? I couldn’t find any of these answers and it is driving me insane. The rules on donating blood say if you are man who has had sex with another man even if it was safe, you cannot give blood no matter what. So does the same rule apply to lesbians? I don’t know if I’m sounding rude or anything but I’m just really curious and I couldn’t find any of these answers anywhere. And if lesbians can give blood without question then why can’t the gay men do it? Is it just because of that reason alone because they are guys and gay? I just don’t see the fairness in it at all if women who aren’t straight can give blood but a guy who isn’t straight can’t.

People say that homosexuals have a higher risk of getting STD’s and HIV and AIDS but doesn’t everyone have the same exact risk? I’ve always been told that if you are sexually active you have a chance of getting STD’s and HIVs no matter what your sexual orientation maybe. I never once remember hearing in health class that only gays and lesbians get these diseases. So if they are so scared of these diseases infecting the blood and they swear by it that only the gays have a higher chance of getting them then something is really wrong with us as humans and a country. Straight people have the same exact risk of getting diseases just as the same of gay people. All I’m saying is I wished they would see this and change it and allow them donate blood too. If blood is so needed right now then blood is blood and it could save someone’s life then stop being so uptight and allow the gays to donate also.
January 6th, 2011 at 04:31am