“Mom’s Got a Date with a Vampire”

Picture this. You were grounded, and you really wanted to go somewhere that was important to you. And you wanted to get your newly single mom out of the house, especially if it means a chance meeting with a mysterious man. But then later, you find out that your mom's date is actually a vampire.

Well, that's exactly what happens in the Disney Channel Original Movie Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire.

The Hansen kids are in a jam. Adam (Matt O'Leary) and his best friend Duffy (Jake Epstein) have gotten their hands on some tickets for the Headless Horseman concert at the Harvest Festival, and his older sister Chelsea (Laura Vandervoort) has a date with her dreamy boyfriend, Peter. The only problem is, they are both grounded: Adam as punishment because he didn't do his homework, instead making up a story using an article from the magazine The Weekly Secret, and Chelsea because she smarted off by calling Adam a dweeb, which their divorced mom, Lynette (Caroline Rhea), happened to hear.

Chelsea and Adam decide that they will do whatever it takes to get their mom out of the house, even if it includes a chance meeting with a very mysterious man. Everything seems to go according to plan, until their little brother, Taylor (Myles Jeffrey), realizes that this stranger might be a vampire.

His brother and sister don't believe Taylor, so he calls Malachi Van Helsing (Robert Carradine), the vampire hunter. The night that their mom goes out with Dimitri (Charles Shaughnessy), the vampire, Taylor follows them. Not wanting their mom to come home early, they follow Taylor and find him outside the restaurant that Lynette and Dimitri are at. Adam and Taylor make the vampire do the spoon test (which is actually a fake test made up by Adam to get Taylor to stop calling Dimitri a vampire). Afterwards, much to his horror, Adam looks in the mirror and discovers that Dimitri doesn't cast a reflection, which makes him realize that Taylor's hunch about Dimitri was right.

So, along with Chelsea, Adam sets out to stop Dimitri, who puts their mom in a trance and takes her to his mansion.

Meanwhile, Malachi Van Helsing arrives and begins to hunt down Dimitri, only to discover that he was being followed by Taylor, who (after learning the spoon test was made up by Adam) had also set out to save his mom from Dimitri.

In the end, Taylor becomes Van Helsing's partner, and they arrive to do battle with Dimitri. But even together, Taylor, Adam, Chelsea and Van Helsing are unable to defeat Dimitri. Dimitri goes to bite a powerless Adam, but he and Chelsea call out to Lynette, breaking her trance (as only true love for someone can break a vampire's trance), and she runs over and throws Dimitri into his coffin. Van Helsing seals the coffin with silver-plated nails and explains that he plans to send it to a place where it's always sunny.

Shortly after Dimitri is sealed up, Van Helsing asks Lynette out on a "date". However, because of what had happened with Dimitri, Adam, Chelsea and Taylor believe they've heard the word "date" enough for one night, and try to convince her to stay single - which is when Lynette makes a confession consisting of, "I date... just not vampires". Then, finally, they all decide to go back to the Hansen house for breakfast as the sun is finally rising.

This is an awesome movie, and I like it - especially the part where Lynette grounds Adam and Chelsea, because of these lines:

"You know what, Chelsea? Just for that remark, you're grounded too."
"But, Mom, you can't! I've got a date with Peter tomorrow night!"
"Well, maybe if I lock the two of you up together, you'll learn to get along."
April 29th, 2011 at 06:38am