The Little Things

I can still remember the glass he would drink his Pepsi in. I would always share it with him, whether it was Pepsi or sweet tea. Those were the only two things he would drink, it seemed. Whenever I think about him now, I picture the tanned skin and black jeans he always had on, complete with his hat and tucked-in shirt. I remember the solid colored shirts.The faint cigarette smell would follow him with his cologne trying to overcome the odor. I, unfortunately, must admit that I don’t remember his voice. I feel ashamed that I sometimes can’t remember him as much as I would want to.
I remember that every time I'd use his computer, the mouse would be on the left side, so I'd have to move it to the right. I know that almost every time I see someone write with their left hand, I'm reminded of him.
We would play checkers and tic-tac-toe all the time, and occasionally card games. I think that's why I still love to play old games like those.
Chocolate-covered cherries were his favorite. I used to not like them, and I have no idea why I love them so much today. I can't eat one without thinking of him.
I don't even know how I remember him blowing bubbles. He could blow the largest bubbles I'd ever seen. I couldn't make them as big as he did. They were twice the size of my head. I would chase after them and eat the bubbles. He'd chuckle and tell me that I shouldn't do that.
He would sit out on every clear night on his porch and watch the sky while having a short smoke. He told me about a time he'd seen a comet pass right over his house. I was amazed, wishing I could have seen it. He gave me a book about constellations, and I would read it constantly. He introduced me to so many interesting things at a young age.
It seems as though I think about him almost every day.

A rose from his casket is still pressed in the constellation book he gave me. It's hard to believe that the rose is already six years old.
April 30th, 2011 at 12:46am